New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Stang...Well To Me....Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:21 PM
miketrains03

Default New Stang...Well To Me....Maybe

Hey everyone,

I know im going to get flamed for being the new guy. What else is new. Im not new to forums however. I have been an active member of a vehicle specific forum for every car i have had.

Im looking to buy this mustang tomorrow. Its an automatic '97 GT with about 100k miles on it for in the high 4k range. The thing looks great for the age/mileage. The body is flawless and the only thing about the interior is a little wrinkly leather driver seat. The guy says its been all highway miles, oil changed every 3000, and that the first owner was his best friend that babied the car. He's the second. Im not familiar with mustangs, so im going to ask you all.

If i buy a decent engine rebuild kit and have my buddy (a mechanic) freshen it up, do you think i could strap on a 1.7 kenne bell s/c at 9psi? The only other thing id do is the exhuast since im only looking for 350-400 crank hp. I figure a stang can handle that without much of a problem? I can get my heads ported locally if i need a little more for those numbers. Can the internals handle that reliably? Do you guys suggest any particular rebuild kit? I would probably rebuild it and get the engine ready internally for the s/c before the winter, then add that on myself over the summer.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2005, 10:42 PM
v8stang05
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Stang...Well To Me....Maybe

i cant answer your question, but welcome.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:44 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Stang...Well To Me....Maybe

ORIGINAL: miketrains03

Hey everyone,

I know im going to get flamed for being the new guy. What else is new. Im not new to forums however. I have been an active member of a vehicle specific forum for every car i have had.

Im looking to buy this mustang tomorrow. Its an automatic '97 GT with about 100k miles on it for in the high 4k range. The thing looks great for the age/mileage. The body is flawless and the only thing about the interior is a little wrinkly leather driver seat. The guy says its been all highway miles, oil changed every 3000, and that the first owner was his best friend that babied the car. He's the second. Im not familiar with mustangs, so im going to ask you all.

If i buy a decent engine rebuild kit and have my buddy (a mechanic) freshen it up, do you think i could strap on a 1.7 kenne bell s/c at 9psi? The only other thing id do is the exhuast since im only looking for 350-400 crank hp. I figure a stang can handle that without much of a problem? I can get my heads ported locally if i need a little more for those numbers. Can the internals handle that reliably? Do you guys suggest any particular rebuild kit? I would probably rebuild it and get the engine ready internally for the s/c before the winter, then add that on myself over the summer.

Thanks

lol, thats what they all say,

well anyway welcome to the forums, post your tech ?'s in the tech forums you will get a better awnser there, not many people come in here. if the car looks and sounds decent, then go for it. if you want to put the KB on it, you will need to upgrade some things to get the car very reliable, so you dont run the risk of blowing the engine appart.