New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

First car help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Teebee182

Default First car help!

Hi I am 16 yrs old and will be getting my license soon so I have been looking around for a car to buy and came across the one I have always wanted. It's a 2001 base mustang with 90k miles for 6,000. It is in my favorite color for a mustang (brown) and I feel that if I pass this opportunity up I won't have another chance for a long time. Fell in love with it right when I saw it! Although, there are a few cons to it

1. I live in mass so snow will be a pain I heard
2. I am new to stick shift and it might be difficult to learn
3 it is not a gt and I've been getting told by people they don't even consider it a mustang and its a waste
I just want some opinions that matter so help me out!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Don't listen to the "get a GT or it's a waste" naysayers. So many reasons... They're jealous... They're ignorant... It's your decision, not theirs... Cheaper insurance...

My first car was an 83 tomato red Toyota Tercel. My second car was an 89 4-cylinder Mustang LX. And I loved that car! Would I have gotten a GT if I could've at the time? Of course. But I don't regret getting the LX at all. It looked great and I had fun driving it.

And the now older, wiser man that I am will add that at 16, you might not have experience with powerful v8s...? If not, starting out your driving life with a v6 won't be the worst thing. And you'll still have plenty of fun driving it, that I can assure you. Even if you get a GT, you gotta remember there are still faster cars out there...

And as for it being a manual, don't be scared of that. It will be easier for you to learn to drive it now when you're starting out, than getting used to an automatic and then switching to a manual. If your parents want you in an automatic for safety or something like that, that's one thing, but if you're just worried about learning it, I say don't let that stop you. My said 83 Toyota Tercel was a manual, I learned to drive in that just fine. And down the road, if you move up to a GT or other higher end muscle car, being young odds are you will want a manual then too, and you won't want to risk damaging it by learning to drive in it...

So all in all, I say if you like it, go for it. We were all 16 once and most of us had to decide between "get a car I can afford now" or "go without a car until I can save for a better one"... If you're in that situation, only you can decide which is the higher priority...

Whatever you do, congratulations on your pending license and first car! It's one of the milestone times in your life you'll always remember! Have fun with it, but don't go crazy! Stay safe!

-----

Oh I just realized I didn't say anything about winter driving... But I live in the wonderful sunny south so I don't have much experience there! I'll let the Yankees talk about that

Last edited by Schmalgar; 08-19-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the license when you get it.. and the first car..

I am one of those who believe if your gonna buy a muscle car it's gotta be a V8 however that being said much like Schmalgar I owned a 89 4cyl LX and I loved that beast I drove that thing to the freaking ground and it wasn't easy lol. I at the time just couldn't afford to get into the GT or Cobra models as they were out of my price range at the time. Either way your stepping into a mustang and whether 4cyl 6cyl or 8cyl they all have their perks and are fun to drive.

Honestly, you can see what people say, hear what people suggest or recommend but ultimately it is your choice.. You will never please everyone.. if you buy a 4cyl or V6 people will bitch why not get the V8, you chose a certain color they say should have gotten (blank) color and so forth and so on. It is no different when it comes to modifying your vehicle some will like others will hate. All that matters is that your happy with the vehicle.

unless mommy and daddy are paying for your insurance, gas get what you can afford and fits within your budget.

Manual concern. It's not hard to learn standard some people struggle and take longer to learn than others but you get the hang of it... much like anything else practice practice practice.. if you got a friend who already has a manual ask them to teach you on their vehicle that way by the time all is said and done and you get your vehicle you'll be set and done to drive your car like a champ.

As for winter driving I have a '13 GT and Live in Edmonton, Alberta our winters are horrendous I got my car middle of winter and at the time it was bone stock but I purchased a set of steel rims and X-ice3 winter tires and I had no issues with a 420hp vehicle so in a 2001 you'll be fine just highly recommend a good set of winter tires if your winters get pretty icy, cold or deep snow.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, welcome. And congrats on your license when you get them. +1 on Schmalgar, BairdGT , comments.My comments is on the price of the car. $6k is a high asking price for the car. Try to get a better price on the car.I lived in NY, Conn for over 30 years. Winters will be a hard drive.Get a set of winter tires and you should be OK. Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome....I definitely agree with what the others have said above.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

welcome.....you are paying for it....get what you want....first car is to get experience driving...mustang much better than my first car....pontiac t1000..lol
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
jerstysu
1st Gear Member

Welcome and I agree with the others...My first ride was a 1978 Chicken S@#$ yellow toyota corolla station wagon. Hideous, but it was free and it got me where i wanted to go.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

So TeeBee... you post one question, then disappear? You still alive out there? Have you bought a Mustang yet?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
So TeeBee... you post one question, then disappear? You still alive out there? Have you bought a Mustang yet?
Haha he just got his license, and possibly a mustang , He aint got time for no interweb stuff... out with the honeys in his class..
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
darkpony04
2nd Gear Member

Hey welcome. I was in your shoes a couple of years ago too. I wanted a GT really bad too but didn't get one. Insurance was too high for my age and plus I'm a male. At your age you just need a mode of transportation from Point A to Point B. You'll have multiple cars throughout your lifetime. The goal I guess for you is to get your education and move on. From experience, a couple of my friends decided the would buy a dodge challenger R/T and a new Mustang 5.0. Yes they have more power but they'll be up to their eyeballs in debt until their 30 or so. And I wont. So the question is Do YOU want it now or later? LOL

Snow-Stay off the snow covered roads as much as you can. If you can't then I would recommend on going slow like 10 mph. If your going like 20 mph and hit a slick spot its prolly gonna be in the shop. So on snow covered days take your lead foot off the pedal. LOL

My goodness your only 16. At first I was like man I wish I could have a GT to burn out at every street light. At your age you dont need a V8 unless you can pay for it yourself but at the same time its still a lot of power for a young driver. Heck, even some of the mustangs now a days are too much power for some of the older guys.

About the guys talkin your V6 down-Just ignore them. Yes they were lucky to get a GT but you have to just go with the flow. Believe me V6's can put down some major power too if you have the money. For instance a Eaton supercharger M112 can put down about 300hp on a 04 V6 which would beat out a stock GT. I am starting from the bottom up and working my way up the ladder and maybe someday I will get a Shelby. The V6 guys on here are great and we will make you feel at home!

And good luck on the Mustang!!!

Last edited by darkpony04; 08-28-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: First car help!