New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

I am kinda new here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:11 PM
CGesc

Default I am kinda new here.

Hi, I am kinda new here. So sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. There's a guy offering me a 1989 mustang gt convertible but he says it's a 25th anniversary but I have heard that it's the 1990 the 25th anniversary. So what car is the actual 25th anniversary? Also this car is a project car, it's wrecked and about 50% rust in the body. (Hood and front bumber totally destroyed) and it's automatic.

At the same time there's another guy selling me a 1987 mustang gt convertible for a higher price but it does not run nor turn on. I haven't seen the bottom of the car so I don't know if there's rust. For sure the interior is kinda messed up. It has about 10% of rust in the body. This is a manual car.

Which one would be recommend for me as my first project car?
*Money is not a problem right now*
Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Dude....there's lots of things you can work on as a project, but if money is not a problem why are you going with cars with rust? that's not easy or fun to work on. You should be able to find a solid car without too much trouble. How much do they want for these cars?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 PM
CGesc

Is this how you reply? .-. well anyways. the 1987 only has a rust spot in the trunk and in the fuel tank according to the owner. and both cars are under the $1000 price range. According to the owner of the 1987, the reason it doesn't start is because they haven't tried turning it on. so he doesn't guarantee me that it will start if I try
Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

well, for under $1000 I guess you don't have much to lose. you need to at least see if the engine will turn over. If you're planning on rebuilding the engine, that runs pretty high for even a basic rebuild. If you're going to end up spending several thousand in the end, you might want to try to find a running car for a little more. But if you really want a project, just see if the engine is seized. If not, it could be fun tinkering with it.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

A solid body would be my #1 concern. Everything else is pocketchange when comparing repair prices. Good luck and post pic's when you make your choice.

And welcome, post any other questions you have over in the Fox / SN section. We'd be glad to help.

EDIT: I just noticed your from Texas, you guys have rust down there ??? lol

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 03-20-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I'm on the coastal bend & there is rust down here.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:16 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
A solid body would be my #1 concern. Everything else is pocketchange when comparing repair prices. Good luck and post pic's when you make your choice.

And welcome, post any other questions you have over in the Fox / SN section. We'd be glad to help.

EDIT: I just noticed your from Texas, you guys have rust down there ??? lol
+1 on the solid body car to start. Welcome, good luck in your search.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 PM
CGesc

I am kinda new here.-imagejpeg_4.jpg I think I uploaded the picture correctly? so this is the 1989 mustang gt convertible. Maybe I may of have exaggerated on the 50% of rust but the whole bottom of the car is rusted and on the passenger side floor pan, it has a big hole right under the seat. the right fender is messed up with rust and the trunk has rust too. To be able to open the doors, you must pull them up and pull out by force and on the side of the door frame it has a lot of rust and the little door step is falling off due to the rust. One door hinge on the driver's side seemed different from the others so I am guessing he replaced it, I don't know. He told me he crashed the car because he was racing it........ and it seems like he crashed against a light post or something.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

I've blown a lot of money on a lot of crappy cars, but I think I would have to pass on that one. There is so much better out there, and for a reasonable price compared to all you have to spend just to get that one to roll straight.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 PM
CGesc

Okay thanks.

Quick Reply: I am kinda new here.