New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member from Cincinnati - 05 GT Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:01 PM
timhypo

Default New Member from Cincinnati - 05 GT Manual

Hey guys,
I'm new here from Cincinnati, OH who just bought an '05 GT for a song last week and managed to make it two days stock and 8 days before breaking it. Past projects include a '72 240Z, a '58 Olds, an '83 Sportster, and a '31 Model A. I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted a new daily driver to replace a beater that I got free from family and. with me having a middle-class salary in a midwestern city, no wife or kids, and a bus that takes me to work, another project car made sense. But, I wanted a modern one this time. I wanted A/C, ABS, leather seats, a real stereo, cruise control, power windows, etc. I wanted decent fuel mileage. And I wanted 2 doors, a manual tran, and V8 power. A Mustang pretty much rules in that category, especially when we talk price. I had about $10k and ended up getting this for $7900 - I think I did OK.

Anyhow, plans are to do everything that doesn't involve going into the motor to it for now and, maybe, adding positive manifold pressure next year if I still love it. So far, I did cold-air, wheels/tires, flashed the ecu, and retinted the back window. Also, pulled a bunch of stickers off of it, pulled the front plate, and tinted the foglamps yellow. I have all the parts to do open pipes on the exhaust (going to weld up my own axle-backs and maybe get rid of the cats), the Hurst short-shifter, and 4.10s. I'm having an issue with the shifter, but I'll post a thread about that in the tech section. I've been reading this site for a little while now when I was supposed to be working and wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of information I've found. I've learned working on cars over the years that projects are a lot more fun if you have information and there is loads of it here. So, Thanks!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

This has to be one of the best first posts I've seen. Lol

Congrats on the car and project, OP and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:25 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I went with an 05 Mustang for similar reasons. Wanted a/c and fuel injection...yeah it kind of snowballed from there.

Anyway, hello from Colorado.

Last edited by CPTCO; 04-25-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:09 AM
timhypo

I just can't get over how much fun it is to drive, even with factory exhaust quelling the symphony of a well-tuned american V8. My model A project never made it to the road before someone offered me more than I could resist for it and the Olds is a pig. That leaves the 240Z, which is also a blast, but Ford nailed it with the driving experience on this car and you can't beat the feeling of the big V8, manual trans, and rear-wheel drive for FUN. The Datsun's great, especially late-braking into a turn, and is actually a very similar car to the Mustang, but it lacks 300 horsepower and that rules. It's pure rocknroll everytime the tach needle swings past 3k. Of course, I have a parade of dorks trying to race me in their stock V6 cars, Hondas, and whatnot. I know there's fast imports, but not many around here. I also know this car isn't the fastest thing on the road - new camaros, challengers, Mustangs, and even older LS1 cars all pose a thread, but the majority of the cars on the road are no match. The fact that the interior is so cool is just a bonus.

Anyhow, I'll stop talking about how much this thing rules and post pics. The first one is the day I got it. As you can imagine, offered at $7900, there was a line of potential buyers with one serious one ahead of me who was given overnight to talk to his wife about it - I didn't sleep that night and took $9000 with me to work that day to make sure the deal happened. It turned out that the first buyer was looking at it for his 17y/o son and the wife and insurance saved this car from becoming the late-model wreck that he (and I, at that age) would have turned this thing into.

The day I got it home:

And here it is after I retinted the back window, changed the wheels and tires, and tinted the foglamps.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:33 AM
timhypo

Sorry to reply to myself, but the Edit button doesn't seem to be available to me for my post. Can you guys see the pics? They're not showing up for me, but I don't know if that's the case for everyone else. My photobucket folder they're in has the same settings and is the same folder I've shared pics on for years.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 AM
Chazman_1962
2nd Gear Member

Welcome, I can't open the pictures, Sounds nice though want to see it
Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome and congrats
Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM
car_designer

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a really nice car. I'm still fighting the urge to do anything to mine.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Oh, and you had or have a '58 Olds? I'm also into Oldsmobiles (have a '72 Cutlass and '83 Delta 88), but '58 seems to be a hit or miss year. So much chrome, depending on the trim level.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Mikes65coupe

Default Newbie from colorado

Just wanted to say hey. getting ready to start my mustang project...... 65 6cyl Arizona bought and kept in a carport 37k original miles....
Here's the list gonna paint it
I am gonna do a 5.0/aod conversion
I and thinking a 1995 gt driveline swap with a Heidi's mll crossmember swapping all suspension from the 1995 gt to my 65 still gotta figure out the rear axel
Either mustang or explorer

Quick Reply: New Member from Cincinnati - 05 GT Manual