New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

My new ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:52 AM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Default My new ride

hey everyone, I just picked up a 2014 Mustang GT California Edition in all black. 6 speed manual trans fully loaded, 3.73 rear end and track pack. The last Mustang I owned was a 2001 GT, still babying it a little cause I'm at the 700 mile mark. I did have two questions though,

1. I'm in the military so I tend to move alot, and lots of places with different laws. Looking at an exhaust but dont want to spend an entire life savings. All I'm looking for is something legal, with a nice deep roar and some sound to it at idle, and when I get on it. I was told the Roush Axle back exhaust would be good, which also falls along with what I 'm looking to spend, Thoughts?

2. On my air filter housing it says "cold air intake". I have always seen a cold air intake to where the filter element is exposed for all to see, I had one on a GTI and that is what made it have the throaty sound when I revved the motor. Is there a difference between this type and the open filter? If i get the open filter type am I just wasting my money?

sorry for the long thread but any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
hey everyone, I just picked up a 2014 Mustang GT California Edition in all black. 6 speed manual trans fully loaded, 3.73 rear end and track pack. The last Mustang I owned was a 2001 GT, still babying it a little cause I'm at the 700 mile mark. I did have two questions though,

1. I'm in the military so I tend to move alot, and lots of places with different laws. Looking at an exhaust but dont want to spend an entire life savings. All I'm looking for is something legal, with a nice deep roar and some sound to it at idle, and when I get on it. I was told the Roush Axle back exhaust would be good, which also falls along with what I 'm looking to spend, Thoughts?

2. On my air filter housing it says "cold air intake". I have always seen a cold air intake to where the filter element is exposed for all to see, I had one on a GTI and that is what made it have the throaty sound when I revved the motor. Is there a difference between this type and the open filter? If i get the open filter type am I just wasting my money?

sorry for the long thread but any help would be appreciated.
dslpow3r,

Welcome and Congratulations on your '14

1. You're right on the money with the Roush Axle-Back. I've spent a ton of seat time in a company car with one installed and it's great to go from mild to wild with a little modulation of your right foot!

2. Regarding the factory box- Ford put a lot of research & development into their factory unit but it's not a legitimate Cold Air Intake like you may have found with your VW that had the filter exposed.

Shoot me a private message with your USMIL Email as well and I'll send our discount code over for you.

-Alex
Old 06-04-2014, 03:42 PM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
Shoot me a private message with your USMIL Email as well and I'll send our discount code over for you.

-Alex
I have been looking for a while and cannot figure out how to send a private message.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:17 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on that Mustang. And thanks for your service to this country.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Stang BB
2nd Gear Member

Welcome aboard.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
I have been looking for a while and cannot figure out how to send a private message.
If you click on his name, you should see an option to PM him. Or might be because you haven't had enough posts to send/receive PM's
Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Thanks for your service.Congrats and welcome.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:38 PM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for your replies and your insight. I cant wait to start modding this thing and make it sound like a real Mustang.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:58 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome

The Roush axlebacks sound very nice....from normal driving to wide open throttle.

The stock intake is far from a cold air intake like you'd get from an open air filter. I'm a big fan of JLT. They have very nice products, and you'll see HP & TQ gains. The only thing to be aware of is that you will need to retune your car for the amount of increased airflow you'll get from an open type filter.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 AM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
welcome

The Roush axlebacks sound very nice....from normal driving to wide open throttle.

The stock intake is far from a cold air intake like you'd get from an open air filter. I'm a big fan of JLT. They have very nice products, and you'll see HP & TQ gains. The only thing to be aware of is that you will need to retune your car for the amount of increased airflow you'll get from an open type filter.
I appreciate the input. I have made up my mind and will go with the Roush axle backs. I'm on a budget (according to the wife) so next thing would be a tuner (any recommendations?), and then the CAI(any recommendations?).

Quick Reply: My new ride