New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1999 Mustang GT V8 Convertible - Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:40 AM
JWGarber

Post 1999 Mustang GT V8 Convertible - Should I buy it?

Im sorry if this is a bad place for this post, but I figured since I am new & not technically the owner of a Mustang, this would be the best place.

I am looking at a 1999 Mustang GT V8 Convertible with 92000 miles. There is a CarFax report as well to review.

The vehicle is here
http://www.harrisonburgnissan.com/us...21cf5ddf02.htm

It seems a bit overpriced though according to NADA & KBB.

The CarFax is here
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_displa...FP45X6XF185770

Transmission: 4R70W
Engine: 4.6L 260HP V8 Windsor
Assembly Plant: Dearborn, Michigan

I travel about 50 miles a week, this includes work commute & in town driving for errands etc.

My research indicates this engine and transmission are fairly solid and reliable.

The CarFax indicates a few possible issues...

This car has been through 4 owners, they didn't keep the car for long. Service records seem ok, however I noticed an IAC replacement. Which leads me to believe someone was experiencing issues with this engine or at least an idle issue.

The mileage is low so those four owners didn't drive very much either. Not sure if this is because they simply didn't drive or the car was in the shop more than on the road.

The CarFax indicated a transmission fluid & filter change at 30K which is by the book. However there was not a fluid change done at 60K or 90K...

I intend to do drain, change the filter, j-mod the valve body & install a transmission cooler as soon as possible. The idea is not just to improve transmission performance but to ensure a long reliable life span.

Any comments and input on this particular car, transmission and engine is welcome. I don't intend to buy another car for the next several years.

My goal is a vehicle that will be solid and not spend more time in a shop then on the road. The convertible feature is a bonus.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, and your right, this should go in the Tech section, they should have a General Discussion sub forum for these years of Mustang. They will give you the advice your looking for.

I'm not familiar with the pricing down there, but it does seem a bit over priced, as all dealers do. Gives them a little wiggle room in negotiations. Good luck
Old 12-02-2014, 06:53 AM
JWGarber

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Welcome to the forum, and your right, this should go in the Tech section, they should have a General Discussion sub forum for these years of Mustang. They will give you the advice your looking for.

I'm not familiar with the pricing down there, but it does seem a bit over priced, as all dealers do. Gives them a little wiggle room in negotiations. Good luck
Sorry, I just didn't see that section.

Will a mod please move this to the appropriate section in the tech forums?

I haven't inspected the vehicle in person yet, but I am going to try like hell to get the best price possible.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

That seems on the high end - especially considering the driver seat is all torn up. Since the steering wheel is covered I assume that is pretty rough too. I don't know what your budget is but it sounds like you are wanting a higher priced car for a pretty low budget.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:54 PM
JWGarber

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
That seems on the high end - especially considering the driver seat is all torn up. Since the steering wheel is covered I assume that is pretty rough too. I don't know what your budget is but it sounds like you are wanting a higher priced car for a pretty low budget.
When you say "That seems on the high end" are you saying it seems high priced?

I can buy it at the current price, I simply don't want to considering the typical value in current condition and mileage is listed at 5600 by several of the commonly used appraisal methods.

I am trying to talk them down a bit, but I think they are going to stick at 6900.00 selling price.

I went and inspected it today, the transmission fluid is cherry red, the antifreeze didn't look like chocolate milk but did have a tiny oil smell to it...

I ran the vehicle at idle & listened to the engine for a bit, no obvious ticks or unusual noises that I can hear. Revved it a few times nothing crazy about 2500 - 3000 rpms. Then I let it sit off for about a minute and pulled the oil, it was reading half-low which its possible I didn't let the oil settle back down long enough after running it.

I laid under the car and found very very minimal rust just typical wear and tear for our areas road.

It was raining most the day so I checked the seals around the soft-top & everything was tight and dry. Aside from the torn up seats & some nicks around the bottom edge of the soft-top everything does look good.

I will know more when I go drive it Thursday. I plan to get her nice and hot, do a few figure eights, some interstate running & check the heat and A/C etc.

Any advice, thoughts, comments. Does this particular vehicle look like it will be a reliable buy given the photo's, description and carfax etc.

Any advice on getting the price down further?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:56 PM
JWGarber

Not going to lie... I want this car but I want a fair price and reliability.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I meant there is now way I would pay that much for a 16 year old Mustang.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:55 PM
JWGarber

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I meant there is now way I would pay that much for a 16 year old Mustang.
Im not paying that much either lol..

After a test drive I decided not to buy it anyways. It just didn't feel right.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Good decision. Welcome to the forums and GL finding a stang!
Old 12-06-2014, 05:02 PM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Welcome. Price was high for the year. Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: 1999 Mustang GT V8 Convertible - Should I buy it?