New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Mustang 01gt need help plz!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:30 AM
warndestroy

Unhappy Mustang 01gt need help plz!

Hey what's up people recently bought an 01 gt manual and needed to replace the engine with a used one, the car is throwing white smoke
But not a lot also doesn't over Heat, there's like light white stuff under the oil cap very light.. What does it mean and if there is water or antifreeze in the oil but the car is not
Over heating does that mean the gaskets are fine and just change oil and filter ?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:30 AM
XRO6

You have a blown head gasket!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Welcome to the forum, hope we can help you through these tough times.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:24 AM
warndestroy

are you sure ? The guy who swapped the motor said some antifreeze accidentally got inside the heads when he was fixing something. Is it possible the white smoke is the antifreeze burning off what was in there ?

And thank you both !
Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Jim74656
1st Gear Member

if you can get a pic of this "white stuff" it might help, but mist likely explanation based on what you stated is going to be a blown head gasket if your seeing white smoke, if the person said that antifreeze got mixed with the oil I would strongly recommend emptying the oil in the engine and get the antifreeze out then refil with the correct oil (5W20 I believe) then run it and see if the results are the same, or if any thing changes.

keep in mind this is based off of working on my own cars (and truck) for 5 years (cars I have owned) and working at least 10 on the family cars (parents, brother, other family members) and the only other time I can think of seeing what your describing was when the 2000 Nissan Altima had blown its head gasket.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 PM
warndestroy

It won't let me post a pic through my phone :/
Anyway I can send them to u ?
Yea I'm going to change the oil and see what's up hopefully I can salvage the motor before the gaskets crack.. Is that possible ? Theres real light white fluid on the cap not full blown mayo where it's thick
Old 02-25-2015, 11:03 PM
warndestroy

Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 PM
warndestroy

i let the car run till it heated up to the right temp but i didnt drive it.. didnt overheat and thats what was under the cap... white smoke but was a little cloud i had a car before with a blown gasket and there was huge amounts of smoke,, and it smelled sweet the smoke from the mustang doesnt really smell.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Jim74656
1st Gear Member

its possibly salvageable but again im only speculating at this point, if you host to a site like photo bucket, you can link pics from there, has the engine been ran for a long time with this "mix"? if so theres a change there could be gasket damage (easy to repair in terms of cost, compaired to the entire engine), but first thing I would do is get that oil and antifreeze out ASAP, the longer it site the bigger chance something will go breaking, please let us know if the results change after a oil change (I would suggest a clean out, and then change)

steps I would take if it were me in your shoes,

warm up oil and change with new (cheap brand) of 5w20 and add seafoam
run for 10 to 20 minutes (or what ever amount required for seafoam to work)
change with better higher quality oil

what this will do is essentally flush out any bad oil and any contaminants that could be left over from the current "mix" and may help, again at the minimum be prepaired to have to replace head gasket, worst case will be either all gaskets or the engine its self (im hoping that its just a minor thing)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Jim74656
1st Gear Member

EDIT: i just saw your pics, your car (any car) will emit a small amount of "white smoke" while running and heated up if you were to open the oil cap or dip stick, that is normal, as for the visible froth that is not terrible, but still suggest changing the oil (I would have your friend either do it or at the minimum take up the bill if gasket damage has (did or does) occur) but that is just me....

Quick Reply: Mustang 01gt need help plz!