New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2015 V6 or Ecoboost? Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:42 PM
AtlDesigns

Default 2015 V6 or Ecoboost? Advice

Hi there,

I'm in the market for a new car and I'm really interested in the 2015 V6. I used to own a '99 Mustang V6 before and cannot wait to get back in one.

So I'm torn on wether to get the V6 or the Ecoboost. I'm trying to stay in the mid 20's for cost so the Ecoboost Premium is not an option. So if this is my price point what would you all suggest and why? My only reservation right now is the thought of getting a 4cyl Mustang. Just doesn't seem right and from the videos I've watched I'm not a fan of the sound of the engine or exhaust.

Any and all input is welcome. I am test driving them both this weekend too.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:55 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

The V6 is a fine car and it seams like you already have some bias against the 4 banger. If you plan to leave the car stock I think the v6 is the better/cheaper purchase. If you're thinking of modding down the road the ecoboost has more performance potential per dollar spent on mods.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:11 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome, and good luck in your decision. I'd be happy with either one....
Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 AM
AtlDesigns

@bluebeastsrt See I don't know if I will not plan to mod later on. To be honest, I had a Camaro for 10 years and planned on doing things to it and never did, so there's that. And I know they will come out with more aftermarket upgrades for the 6 in the future. But you are right, I will get more bang for the buck in performance upgrades with the 4.

My only bias against the 4 is when I think of a Turbo charged 4 I think import. And if I wanted the sound of an import I would get one. The other car I was looking at seriously was the FRS/BRZ, so I almost feel if I get the Ecoboost then why not get one of those instead.

The one thing that bugs me though is how Ford is making the 6 without any optional upgrades. You have the std 051A package and thats it. They are forcing the hands of people to buy the Ecoboost if they want more then stock.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AtlDesigns
Hi there,

I'm in the market for a new car and I'm really interested in the 2015 V6. I used to own a '99 Mustang V6 before and cannot wait to get back in one.

So I'm torn on wether to get the V6 or the Ecoboost. I'm trying to stay in the mid 20's for cost so the Ecoboost Premium is not an option. So if this is my price point what would you all suggest and why? My only reservation right now is the thought of getting a 4cyl Mustang. Just doesn't seem right and from the videos I've watched I'm not a fan of the sound of the engine or exhaust.

Any and all input is welcome. I am test driving them both this weekend too.
Welcome
Old 06-04-2015, 09:08 AM
AtlDesigns

Thank you!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Ford is making the 6 without any optional upgrades.
You should be able to get anything you want from the after-market companies, and still pay less than a
premium V6. I think a lot of after-market companies are very excited with this plan.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 AM
AtlDesigns

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
You should be able to get anything you want from the after-market companies, and still pay less than a
premium V6.
That's very true. The one thing I do like, even though I have no clue how they will handle or if I would use it, is the new drive modes on the premium EB.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:49 AM
rgingo

I understand your dilemma.... I went through it for months before deciding to go with the 2.3 turbo. Having driven my 2011 6 cyl for the last four years, I can tell you that it is a very good engine and even sounds good at normal street RPMs (not so great at redline). I compared the new 2.3 to the 8 at the dealership with test drives as well as some research (not with the 6 because it is the same engine I already know). It was VERY difficult (price was not the prime consideration). The 2.3 does not sound like a V8 and never will, but it does have a pleasing sound (which can be easily enhanced with exhaust mods). In normal street use, the acceleration is similar to the 6, but the throttle response is superior to the 6 or even the 8 at lower revs (like when stepping on it in higher gears). I also liked the better gas economy for long car trips (6 was averaging 27-29 on hwy ... the 2.3 has been closer to 33-34). The driving modes are an excellent feature.... I highly recommend it (2.3 and premium upgrade required). "Normal" gets you good overall driving responses with high gas mileage .... "Sport+" sharpens the steering, quickens throttle response, lets the auto trans shift up and down with more power on tap...."Wet and Snow" tempers steering, throttle, brakes, auto trans etc to maximize traction.....haven't tried "Track" yet (waiting to get more break-in before going full-bore). If on a budget, go with the 6 and a manual trans with no regrets. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:40 PM
AtlDesigns

Originally Posted by rgingo
If on a budget, go with the 6 and a manual trans with no regrets. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Thanks! I actually thought you were going to say go with the 4cyl at the end. So is the only reason you say to go with the 6 is because it wouldn't have the premium upgrades? Is it not worth it to get the 4 if it's the low end version?

Quick Reply: 2015 V6 or Ecoboost? Advice