MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Member Area (https://mustangforums.com/forum/new-member-area-11/)
-   -   Newbie on deletes (https://mustangforums.com/forum/new-member-area/721320-newbie-on-deletes.html)

MusBBad95 08-14-2015 07:28 PM

Newbie on deletes

Hey mustang enthusiasts ,
Just purchased my first 95gt. Had a 92 lx 5.0 notch. Didn't do much to it.
My question is: carb vs injection?
I've never had a computer car with performance upgrades . . I know shame on me... lol
Gears will be the first upgrade. Already has cool air bbk and a cobra plenum. Other than that stock.
Will I have to have another ecu or some kind of hand held computer to program?
Car will be a dad or a weekend joyride. It has no ac or heat and smog pump is still in with loads of vacation leaks. So smog delete kit also first.
Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.
Thx for all.
The newb

1st 4 eyed fox 08-15-2015 02:09 AM

Newbie on deletes

Not to insult your intelligence (had to get that part in first) and don't want to tell you anything you may already know. But as for the a/c heat issue check fuses and relays for the blower motor and a/c compressor. Unless it has the r134a conversion already because it's pre 94 it will have r12 refrigerant. Which if you can find it you are lucky and it will not be cheap. Also check out the fuse if you have one for the dash controls and start your car and turn your a/c on just to see if the compressor clutch kicks in and if you have a multimeter check to see if you have 12v going to it. You can manually test the clutch the best way is to use a power probe but if you don't have one make a fused link with a 30 amp fuse in line on the positive side and wear gloves it could get hot and go from your batt and on the clutch side of the connector should be a white and black wire or red and black it varies and put the wires on the pins and if the clutch engages your compressor is fine if it pops the fuse it's shot. As far as the tuning I'm not sure I'm more a a diesel guy and just got my first 85 4 eyed fox a few days ago so we are kinda in the same boat I hope I could kinda help

MusBBad95 08-15-2015 07:05 AM

Thanks 1st 4 eyed fox for the input. Unfortunately my a/c and heat have already been deleted. Kinda stinks but the previous owner already deleted it... My biggest concerns are tuning issues.. I'm really considering going the carb route , just think injection is more convenient, plus Im not good with tweeting or setting up carbs. Looks like it is going to the professionals...
Thx again for the input. Enjoy ur fox.....

1st 4 eyed fox 08-15-2015 10:52 AM

Newbie on deletes

One thing I have been told but if you're at high elevation go with fuel injection and low elevation go with carb but you can get jet kits for any elevation

Carolina Man 08-15-2015 07:25 PM

Welcome

88 orangepeel notch 08-17-2015 06:41 AM

Welcome, congrats on your 95.

I'd stay with the fuel injection, depending on what mods your planning. The stock computer will self adjust to just about any simple bolt on mod you want. HCI swap will work also, but to get every last hp or the very best in driveability, a tune wouldn't hurt.

In my sig, I have most of my mods listed, and I've never had my car tuned. I did buy a used Anderson PMS, and a wideband for tuning. But the stock computer did a perfect job with A/F ratios and driveability so I really never had to mess with anything. Your SN computer is a little more touchy when it comes to mods, but should still be fine.

MusBBad95 08-17-2015 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch (Post 8502635)
Welcome, congrats on your 95.

I'd stay with the fuel injection, depending on what mods your planning. The stock computer will self adjust to just about any simple bolt on mod you want. HCI swap will work also, but to get every last hp or the very best in driveability, a tune wouldn't hurt.

In my sig, I have most of my mods listed, and I've never had my car tuned. I did buy a used Anderson PMS, and a wideband for tuning. But the stock computer did a perfect job with A/F ratios and driveability so I really never had to mess with anything. Your SN computer is a little more touchy when it comes to mods, but should still be fine.

Thanks orange peel for input. Upgrades will be standard for now. I want to delete smog pump and didn't know if it would effect computer. Basic upgrades will include gears, cold air, headers, exhaust. I have the cobra intake on the stock 5.0. Not sure what the tb is, but it has the bbk cold air power plus series and a msd ignition. Going to put u/d pulleys and probably call it quits until I can get motor rebuilt with cams and heads and such. It's going to be a weekend joy rider. I'd love to get a/c back working cause I'm in florida , but I don't see that happening soon. Lol.
Thanks again for input and any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated .

88 orangepeel notch 08-17-2015 09:39 PM

With those mods, a stock computer will be fine. These older cars weren't as touchy/ fine tuned as the newer ones. Good luck.

And if you run into any snags / troubles, just start a thread in the Tech section and we'll help you out.