New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New car new guy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 PM
spot51975

Default New car new guy

12 years ago when I got married my wife said if you want to upgrade my ring get me a 60's convertible red mustang. I got one this weekend for her. 1966 200 convertible. Today, 3 days later, I go to go for a ride and it will not start. I am going to learn how to work on this car, but will need a bunch of help. I have changed starters and cooling systems but that is it.
This problem, I turn the key and a thump(maybe a click) sound goes off in the mechanism by the left front headlight that has wires in and out of it. but the sounds end there. All the lights are on in the car and doesn't appear to be battery, or could it?
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your '66.

Grab a multimeter and check battery voltage, should be at least 12.5 volts.

The clicking sound you hear is the starter solenoid. It's just a big ON/OFF switch basically. Either you don't have enough juice to activate it or the problem lies beyond that point. But let's verify the battery is good first.

Also make sure all battery cables are clean and tight. A bad connection at these points could also cause this issue.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2017, 07:44 AM
spot51975

Thanks for the help. I had kind of reasoned my way to that conclusion, there just isn't much under the hood, but before I go start my auto tool collection I wanted some advise. Off to get a multimeter!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:34 AM
spot51975

The battery is at 12.55 volts. I am assuming to check the voltage to the starter I have to have the key in the on position to activate the solenoid? There is no sound coming from the starter though. The two starters I have changed they made a noise. One a spinning noise and the other an electrical clicking sound.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:52 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Those cars are fairly simple.

Check all the cables going to the battery and the starter. Try a jump to see if that does anything.

If the starter is spinning the bendix is probably bad and needs replacing. Should be able to buy the bendix w/o a whole starter.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:25 PM
spot51975

An update if anyone cares. I changed the Solenoid and cable which gave the Starter action. However, it is now not igniting and the starter seems to want to keep starting. I figure it must be the ignition as one time I was trying to start it and literally pulled the key out and it was still trying to start. A bit of a freak out moment. I got out to go disconnect the battery and it stopped. I am getting a lot deeper into a car I have had less than a week than I wanted, but it is more fun than being at work I guess. I just wish I was playing with something that was cool. this is eating into my power breaking system and wheel upgrade money.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:40 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

It sounds like a bad ignition switch or the starter solenoid may not be wired correctly. Make sure the signal wire is going to the correct post on the solenoid.

Then are you saying the engine won't fire when the starter is cranking it over ? You should start a new thread in the appropriate Tech section for that. This section of the forum is supposed to be just for new member intros.

Good luck
Old 04-08-2017, 03:15 AM
carlover85

Hello guys. I am also planning to get a new car. A Mustang V6. Any thought for this deal I found? https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/...-lease-331-mo/ Thanks.