New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Oil and coolant change help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 AM
dannypio

Default Oil and coolant change help please

Hi all, going to change oil on my 4.6 mustang which my dad and I intend to modify a little and try our hand at drag racing. We are thinking of using castrol, or should we switch over to synthetic? Its a 1996.

Also, should we use the Ford premium coolant (I think its Zerex?) and what is the best way to drain and fill? I keep hearing about a bleeder in the thermostat area, but no details. While I'm there, what cooler thermostat to install?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

No need to get fancy with oil as there's a ton of threads here already on the debate over conventional motor oil vs synthetic. I personally run Mobil 1 full synthetic just because it's my personal preference. The most important thing is that the oil is changed when needed.

I'm not familiar enough with the newer Mustangs to give accurate steps on the coolant flush. But it can't be all that different. Search this forum or find a couple YouTube videos on step by step vids that people throw on there. The bleeder valve on thermostat housing will help get all the air out of the system when refilling.

Good luck with the maintenance and intro to drag racing.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 AM
dannypio

Thank you. We decided to go with Mobil 1 as well.

Bought a shop manual, so now we know most of the tricks.

Car doesn't have a lot of horsepower, and wondering if anyone could recommend a good stage 2 type of chip so that we can do a bit better at the track? I went to summit racing and found a few but wondered if anyone had a recommendation.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:40 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

For that answer, I'd go to the Tech section, the one specific to your year Mustang, and ask this in there. They'll know the cheapest and easiest way to get a couple more pony's to the ground.