New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hi! 2001 Cobra Convertible Need Shell

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 03:50 PM
cobraNewb

Question Hi! 2001 Cobra Convertible Need Shell

Hi All,

New guy here in the bay area, my dad bought a 2001 Cobra convertible a few years ago that was in an accident. The frame is so twisted that the top did not close properly and there are other issues with the frame.

What I am considering doing is buying a Cobra Coupe shell and then taking the engine, trans and interior out of the convertible and putting it all into the coupe.

I am new here and just wondering if anyone can help me source a good shell or another car with a bad motor, trans, etc. that I can swap things into and keep this great car running. I honestly do not think fixing the convertible is possible and it has been sitting around for a while.

My dad has a shop where we could do all of the work here in the Bay Area.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

My only advice would be to start camping out on Craigslist, eBay, Facebook Marketplace and other Facebook Mustang buy/sell groups and see what's out there. It might take awhile but eventually something will pop up.

Good luck
Old 05-15-2017, 07:03 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Are you set on buying a cobra coupe shell? There is no difference when looking at shells. You could just buy a GT or V6 shell and transfer everything over to that. Unless in California you can't do that.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:01 AM
cobraNewb

Smile

Sorry I missed your replies, guys. I was only thinking of getting a Cobra shell because then I could at least keep some of the value associated with it.

Is there any difference between the coupe or convertible shells? Like doors, fenders, seats fitting, etc.

I think I will buy a clean coupe shell and swap everything over if there are no differences in fitment.

Also is there a known ticking in the engine with 2001 Cobras?