New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New 2000 GT owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 AM
juujoa

Default New 2000 GT owner

Hi All,

just bought my first ever Mustang, a 2000 GT with 129k miles on it. Got it for dirt cheap, 3300 dollars since the exterior and the paint work is what it is. Engine runs fine, manual transmission seems to shift pretty OK still. Plenty of power left.

Bought it yesterday and took it to an oil change this morning. I'm going to take it somewhere so somebody can go through the car and see how the engine, clutch, transmission and everything's doing. Any suggestions on what kind of a place this should be? I want to get it solid again mechanically before starting to work on the outside.

What do you think will be the main concerns for a GT this old with a lot of miles on it? Everyone keeps saying that the engines are very reliable, but how about the transmission and other things at these miles?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:17 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

These cars are pretty stout. I would replace, or at least examine closely, every single rubber hose. My old 2002 seemed like it ate through every rubber hose in the engine compartment once it hit 100k miles.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:12 PM
juujoa

Originally Posted by redass02gt
These cars are pretty stout. I would replace, or at least examine closely, every single rubber hose. My old 2002 seemed like it ate through every rubber hose in the engine compartment once it hit 100k miles.
Thanks for the advise. I'm going to take it to a full safety inspection next week. I noticed the clutch pedal has slight vibrations, as well as the shifter. Will they be able to check the clutch and the tranny in any detail through the inspection hole?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:06 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard.

Enjoy your Mustang....
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you Mustang.

A good service center will give it a pretty good once over, just don't expect them to find everything. Only the owner will notice all the little imperfections and nuances.

Depending on your mechanical ability, it's going to be ALOT cheaper if you can fix the little issues yourself. This forum will have any tips or suggestions on any repair or mod. YouTube will have any step by step instructional videos for any maintenance or repair you can think of.

And the vibration could be a couple things, bad throw out bearing,. failing u joint, etc, etc ..... depending on what noise is present.