New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Girlpower has shifting problems. Clutch vs transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Girlpower

Wink Girlpower has shifting problems. Clutch vs transmission

Hi everyone, I am brand spanking new, so please bear with me. I have read through many, many posts regarding shifting issues, but I can't 100% relate to any of them. That being said...
I have a 2004 GT, manual. Hopped in the car Monday, and needed a sledge hammer to shift gears. I mean it takes everything I've got to get from one gear to the next and I have to cut the car off to put it in reverse or it grinds really bad. The clutch pedal itself has a lot of tension on it, akin to a tractor clutch, but it does not engage until maybe 1.5-2 inches from the floor. I can easily maneuver through all gears with the car off and without engaging the clutch. When idling, I do have that proverbial chirping noise, which goes away when I push in the clutch. But I also have what I would call a rattle that is heard nearby the shifter. This rattle doesn't change regardless of clutch pedal or gear, etc. It's a constant. I have the stock clutch, quadrant, fork, etc. and noticed that on the plastic quadrant, there is a piece that's broken off about mid center of the side where I am assuming a spring would go. The reasoning being that there is a spring under there that's just dangling, with nowhere to go. I normally tackle any issues without hesitating, but I am completely ignorant on this clutch/tranny thing. I did check the master cylinder and topped the fluid off, but it didn't change anything. Any and all opinions and/or suggestions greatly appreciated. Did I mention that I'm a girl?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Welcome to MF
Topping off your master cylinder will do nothing for the clutch. Your clutch is actuated by a cable and is not hydraulic. You probably have already found the issue. If the quadrant is broken, then the cable is probably not pulling the arm forward enough to fully release the clutch. Get a aftermarket quadrant and replace the broken one. As for forcing it into gear this will damage your transmission. The chirping noise is your throw-out bearing and will need to be replaced. Only use the Ford bearing. Depending on how many miles your car has, and how it was driven, you may also need a new clutch if it still has the original. I am saying this because the car is 13 years old.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Girlpower

Thank you very much! I am ordering the parts first thing in the morning. It's a good chance I'll be back with more questions. Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 PM
Girlpower

Dragul, thanks for your insight. Got the new quadrant on and she shifts like a champ. All the chatter and rattle is gone also! Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:19 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

You are very welcome. Glad to hear you got it fixed.