New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2006 Mustang Lens Restoration???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM
dexter01

Default 2006 Mustang Lens Restoration???

How to I clean / restore the plastic lenses to clear?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Daniel Aguilar

Do you have polish? If not go buy one, then you can get a small jar of it, maybe in Walmart or AutoStore? Some place like that. Then try this, lets go escalating:
Option 1: With a sponge rub the polish into the lamp, hard and in circles.
If option one doesn't cut it then, option 2: get sand paper, 1200 preferred although 1000 will work. Put some water and start sanding the lamp, then, you have to put the polish on the lamp and rub it, but you gotta rub it Hard! The idea is that with the sandpaper you remove all the bad stuff, but it will look like it was sanded (no permanent scratches because the sand paper is way too small, you will see bit DO NOT use a sand paper bigger than 1000) and with the polish you give it gloss and remove de opacity that the sandpaper leaves behind. Now a side note, do this uniformly through the entire lamp and if at the end the lamps look different, then do the same process in the other lamp.
If step 2 doesn't cut it, option 3, which is the one I jump to straight, is to do the polish rubbing but with a polisher, though not everyone has a polisher laying around haha this is because the polisher will remove the opacity way better, if when you finish rubbing with your hand it still looks like it need a bit more extra rubbing but you don't have a polisher, you can take it to a body shop and they must have one, shouldn't be expensive either, maybe $30 TOPS!!

Anyways if you didn't understand, or have any questions, let me know! Also let me know how it goes, good luck!
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 AM
dexter01

Default Thank you

wow, thank you for all this great advice. I will follow these tips and get it done! Your time to reply is very much appreciated! Hopefully I can get it done in the next week or so . I will send pics when done.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dexter01
How to I clean / restore the plastic lenses to clear?
This is the kit that is getting rav reviews.
http://3mauto.com/3m-lens-renewal-kit-39014.html

I have it and am planning on using on our Ford Escape first, then the stang.

I've tried clearing/cleaning/restoring the lenses by hand. Very inconsistent results and takes a lot longer. Consisten pressure is key. You're essentially sanding off the UV coating layer that has started to flake.

After you're done, a lot of people recommend a clear coat of some type, ideally with UV protectant. Duplicolor makes one. Be sure to use adhesive promotor after you restore the lens and before you use the clear coat. The clear coat will keep your lenses from discoloring again after a few months. If you don't protect them after you restore them, they'll fade out again pretty quickly.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Daniel Aguilar

How did it go?