New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Polished/clear coated bare metal paint job

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Julian Bottin

Default Polished/clear coated bare metal paint job

I really want to take off the paint and do either a polished bare metal or clear coated (glossy or matte) bare metal look. Which is easier? Which has less maintenance.? What are the costs? What supplies are needed to do this myself? Yes I know the bumpers are plastic....don't worry about that. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Leo GT

Unless your car has absolutely perfect sheet metal, with no filler, which is unlikely, you
might be better to look into having a metallic wrap put on the car
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 PM
cbdallas
1st Gear Member

If you're talking about removing all the paint, remember that your bumpers are black plastic. If you want a consistent 'metal look', look into getting it wrapped. Speaking for myself, I'm partial to the chromed look, on some cars. But they probably make anything you want. $$$
Old 10-28-2017, 02:44 PM
MACH11969

I paint cars for a living .there is some paint that will give you the bare metal look but it is expensive and difficult to apply .clearcoat does not stick to bare metal and even brand new cars can have bodyfiller. so I too would recommend a wrap