New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2018 Mustang GT or 2017 Roush stage 3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Dyneema

Default 2018 Mustang GT or 2017 Roush stage 3?

Hi all

I have the opportunity to purchase either a 2018 Mustang GT or 2017 Roush stage 3 and having a difficult time choosing one. Knowing that the 2018 mustang is a new gen with many design changes which do you ya recommend? Any comments would be helpful. 2018 mustang GT is fully loaded with all bells and whistles.

Thank you
Old 11-17-2017, 02:14 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Roush Mustangs depreciate like there is no tomorrow. If you don't care about that and want something that won't be seen in every parking lot, get the Roush. The new GT is awesome and with the appropriate options will be a much better car with the exception of the supercharger which can be added later. The magnetic shock option is a must and the new sport exhaust is just plain cool. GT all day, every day, IMO.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Dyneema

@Proeagles

Thank you for the quick feedback. The 2017 Roush is used with only couple thousand miles on it. I can get it about same price as the 2018 mustang gt which is why I was debating which to choose. With all the new changes in the 2018, I was leaning more towards it. Not a street/ drag racer so HP in the GT is enough for me. Yeah, the 2018 mustang GT I am looking at has the shocks and most other options also.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:05 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

At this point you are not paying for the depreciation so it is tempting. As you can see, that Roush lost $20K just like that. I have a 2017 Shelby GT350 and I can tell you the suspension is awesome and I love the exhaust. You will really learn to appreciate the difference the shocks make.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Dyneema

Yeah, I am still deciding between the 2. I already have a quote from one dealership for a 2018 GT with the options I want now waiting for quote from another dealership with few more added options. But the 2017 Roush is tempting especially the unique body/ badges compared to standard GT's and boost in HP on demand. I assume the handling is improved on the Roush compared to standard <2017GT's. Plus like you mentioned you rarely see a Roush on the road. Any major mechanical issues with <2017 GT's?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:33 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

No mechanical issues that I'm aware of. The 2017 GT350 is fully sorted out but then it is a different beast than the 5.0. The 2018 is not really a new model IMO and I believe it will be just fine. The 18 with the new suspension will actually ride better than the Roush in two respects. One, it will be smoother in the standard mode and race track like in the track mode with a sport mode in between. My only problem with Roush as a total package is the depreciation when you try to trade it or sell it. You have to find someone who is willing to pay the premium for all that plastic add on stuff. It looks cool, but doesn't really add to the bottom line. Kelly Blue Book doesn't know what a Roush Mustang is and doesn't care. It is a tough market on the other end.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Dyneema

Decided to get the RS3. Hard to pass up for the offer. Picking up tomorrow morning.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:41 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Beautiful car. Shame you have to run a license plate on the front. Love the color combination.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:33 PM
Dyneema

Thank you. The front dealer tag will be replaced with my college logo plate i just ordered which happened to be also red and black. Now I am planning on replacing the stock Cooper summer tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires.