New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

07 Mustang rear issues after wreck

Old 12-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Mouse810

Default 07 Mustang rear issues after wreck

I wrecked my mustang a couple of months ago. The rear drivers side wheel of the car took the brunt of it. It hit the curb so hard the rim warped. I had to get a new rim. I have had to replace the caliper and bracket. The rear brakes had to be replaced because they wore uneven (we bled the brakes also). I had to replace the panhard bar because it was bent. After all that it still has a loud high pitch squeal (which is not the heat shield rubbing anything)& when I put on the brakes I hear a crunching noise. The mechanic that is helping me says that back wheel still looks wobbly and may need the rear axle replaced. Anyone have any less expensive ideas I could try?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Nope, sounds like your mechanic is looking at the right stuff.

Think about it, you hit the curb hard enough to bend/warp the rim... Probably looking at one or both lower control arms and either a Bent axle and/or bent axle tube.

To check the tube is easy. Get a 18-24 inch level or straightedge and check the tube for flatness. If it's not flat, there's part of your problem. Also, the wobbly wheel is a tell tale sign of a bent axle.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:30 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Derf00
Nope, sounds like your mechanic is looking at the right stuff.

Think about it, you hit the curb hard enough to bend/warp the rim... Probably looking at one or both lower control arms and either a Bent axle and/or bent axle tube.

To check the tube is easy. Get a 18-24 inch level or straightedge and check the tube for flatness. If it's not flat, there's part of your problem. Also, the wobbly wheel is a tell tale sign of a bent axle.
Agreed, read your description of the damage and what you did for repairs and my first thought was "how did the axle not get bent?". Realized that it sounds like it was not considered when the repairs were done.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Mouse810

It took a lot of convincing to get my mechanic friends to realize how hard I hit. It was that our slide into on coming traffic after an idiot pulled out in front of me. I was hoping someone would say oh there is just a screw loose. But I guess I will be looking for a rear axle.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:40 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mouse810
It took a lot of convincing to get my mechanic friends to realize how hard I hit. It was that our slide into on coming traffic after an idiot pulled out in front of me. I was hoping someone would say oh there is just a screw loose. But I guess I will be looking for a rear axle.
It is very difficult to screw up a solid-axle rear end as far as bending axles, housing, etc., because of the difference in basic strength between the axle housing and it's "pinnings", the suspension. Wheel rims, yes, but bent rear axle shaft, doubtful. Look closely at the suspension. imp
Old 12-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by imp
It is very difficult to screw up a solid-axle rear end as far as bending axles, housing, etc., because of the difference in basic strength between the axle housing and it's "pinnings", the suspension. Wheel rims, yes, but bent rear axle shaft, doubtful. Look closely at the suspension. imp
Not arguing, just continuing the conversation.

Even if it's not the axle shaft or axles tube itself, the hub is part of the axle shaft. A wobbly wheel (if he didn't just reuse his old one) could be an out-of-round hub which can be checked for true in a similar manner to the axle tube, or better yet, by using a runout guage. IF the Hub is out of round or has excessive run-out, he's looking at replacing the axle.

Search this Thread