New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

98 V6 LSD swap details?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:40 AM
ForeverDrivin

Default 98 V6 LSD swap details?

I'm just wondering about what putting an LSD into my v6 would require and what it would affect.
First, which is best to install for the price and effort needed(doing it myself); a new LSD in-case, getting an LSD off a junkyard GT, or just replacing the internals myself? I'm still new to this so I love a bit of a challenge to gain experience as I have already replaced the fuel filter and pump myself, but nothing too hard either because obviously messing up the diff is not good. I'd also love to know the details on how to install whatever option is suggested and what special tools I'd need besides a torque wrench and basic wrenches. And second, would this affect any future mods after it like an engine swap? Or does the diff not need to be switched when putting in any engine (besides to handle large power figures)? I ask this because I might try to put in a newer v6 model engine or something that is easier than most to swap in without a ton of other parts needing to be swapped with it, just to gain some power and keep mpg and insurance decently low (believe me I'd do an LS swap if I thought I could but that's far off in my future and I need it to still be reliable for the next couple years lol).
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this if you leave an answer!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

I'm afraid you won't be able to just grab a GT carrier (8.8) and replace your axle's (7.5) internals. They are different axles with parts that don't fit each other.

Finding a LSD carrier at a salvage yard to swap into your existing axle is going to be next-to impossible. I'm sure there are a few out there, but locating one among all the stock 7.5s will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

You could buy a brand-new 7.5 LSD carrier to install in your differential, but they're getting harder to find, and upgrading the 7.5 might not even be worth the investment. Especially if you plan to feed it more power in the future. The 8.8 axle is stronger, and parts are much more readily available for it. Replacing your entire axle assembly with a 8.8 unit that already has Trac-Lok in it is going to be one of your best options here.

The internet is a great resource, but as you take on more wrenching projects, you'll soon find that having a repair manual at your fingertips is worth every penny. I'm a big fan of factory manuals, but even a cheap Chilton or Haynes book will have most of the information you'll need to remove and install parts.