New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Help deciding between 2015 V6 and ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 PM
KentuckyFan1212

Default Help deciding between 2015 V6 and ecoboost

Hi all,
I am a recent college graduate and just got my first real job. First thing I want to do is get a new car. I have narrowed it down to the 2015 mustang (little bit more than I wanted to pay for a car at first but this is what I want). My question is has anyone had any experience driving both the V6 and the eco boost? I have seen some charts graphing HP and torque, and it seems like at low RPMs the ecoboost is clearly the better engine but it looks like HP seriously drops off at higher RPMs with ecoboost. Anyone felt this while driving the eco? I have driven the eco and liked it, have not been able to find a V6 to compare. My assumption is that the V6 would probably be a bit less jumpy and probably a smoother acceleration? On a dealers website I found that 0-60, 0-100, torque delivered to the wheels were pretty much identical between the two engines. Also I have heard before that bigger engines tend to last longer because each piston has less stress on it? Anyone know if there is any truth to that? Car salesman told me thats not true but I also understand he is trying to make a sale. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

IMO the V6 is an established engine which can take a beating. The ecoboost I heard had some early year problems. I have driven both and prefer the v6 myself because it did seem smoother. I'd say take the one you can get the best deal on,if equl, then personally I would go with the 6
Old 03-13-2018, 09:18 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by ucinn
IMO the V6 is an established engine which can take a beating. The ecoboost I heard had some early year problems. I have driven both and prefer the v6 myself because it did seem smoother. I'd say take the one you can get the best deal on,if equl, then personally I would go with the 6
That wasn't my experience. The 3.7 V6 doesn't respond well to mods in my experience and that is due to the floating deck design for one thing. Nowhere near as strong as the old 4.0L V6. I blew it up 3 times with a turbo - unlike my old 4.0 which is still running strong with over 245,000 miles on it and the Xcharger. Although the last blow up may have been due to the guy installing the replacement engine and neglecting to do the crank relearn on that engine.

The ecoboost 4 cylinder has had problems as well. 2015 was the first year for it so it had more problems than the 2016 and 17. There is more after market support for the ecoboost compared to the V6.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:56 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

If you are looking for safe, reliable transportation and not going to mod the engine, the V6 is the better choice. The ecoboost did suffer some teething problems but is well sorted out now and responds well to mods. The more pressure you put into an engine the better chance of greater wear and tear. The turbo has more torque and will feel stronger and run better a all altitudes.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM
cbdallas
1st Gear Member

Definitely a personal preference, but do yourself a favor and drive them back-to-back. It's no GT, but that V6 had me at startup. I was standing behind it when the salesman remote-started it and it was instant love. Same for the drive. The sound. The smoothness.

Then I drove the Eco. Startup sound? Meh. Meh to the drive, too. But ask 100 different people, and you'll get 100 different answers. Definitely not disrespecting the Eco, but there's no way it was going to steal me from the V6 that day.