New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Back in the Saddle in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Rodan

Default Back in the Saddle in AZ

Hi folks,

I'm new to the site, and though not new to Mustangs, I've been away for a while.

My first Mustang, and the first car I ever bought new, was a 1989 5.0 LX hatch. I had a lot of fun with that car... car shows, drag racing, even a few magazine features. It eventually ran 11s on the strip, and won Car Craft's Real Street Eliminator contest in 1992.

Life went on, and the next Mustang was a '98 GT...

While definitely a better car, the early 4.6 was very underwhelming, and expensive to modify by comparison to the old 5.0. The car kind of turned me off Mustangs for a while. Since I was into drag racing bikes at the time, I wasn't really that concerned about the performance of my cars. I later got into road racing bikes, and that occupied my interests for a while.

When Ford introduced the Coyote engine, it perked up my interest, but I had a lot of other things going on. And about that time, we got into Miatas. I had 'retired' from road racing bikes, and was starting to get interested in tracking cars again. To make a long story short, I ended up with a '92 Miata and absolutely fell in love with the thing, as they are a blast to drive. At one point we had four of them! We still have a '99 that's a just a street beater, and our '92, that has become mostly a track car.

My wife's daily was a '13 Miata that she also tracked on occasion...

A few weeks ago, we traded the '13 Miata on a (very) lightly used '17 Mustang GT Performance Pack...

We had looked at a '16 Mustang GT 'vert about a year ago, but just really didn't like it that much. Felt way too soft and slow. The '17 coupe with the PP was a huge improvement, and in Grabber Blue we just couldn't pass it up.

We're really enjoying it so far, and looking forward to getting it on the track.