New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2018 Mustang in heavy rain?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:34 AM
codemonkey42

Default 2018 Mustang in heavy rain?

We’ve never owned a Mustang but my wife is looking at a 2018 ecoboost Premium. I’ve heard mixed reviews and looking for an HONEST opinion. My wife gets nervous driving in the rain and hydroplaning. We live in Austin TX so we don’t deal with snow but heavy rains at times and slick roads from ice and oil. I’ve heard even the new mustangs fishtail quite a bit and hydroplane. I also heard that the new mustangs are much much better than older mustangs and they drive like a normal front wheel coup. Not sure who’s lying and who’s telling me the truth.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:47 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I didn't have any problems in my 2008. It depends on what tires you have on it,
what condition they are in...

I do not have ABS or TCS, and I have yet to fishtail on wet roads. It has been
precipitating almost non stop up here for two weeks... Mud slides, roads
collapsing, yeah, we got plenty wetness up here. Lots of pooling water too,
and I have been good, BUT, I do have snow tires on the back. That's what was
on it when I got it.

Your 2018 mustang is wider and lower to the ground than prior models.

If you don't have to deal with snow, then where does the ICE come from? You
said slick roads due to ice and, oil? Well dude, if you're driving over oil slicks,
a 4x4 wouldn't last if it started to slide. I been in TX, and it's not just the rain,
there's no where for it to go! I mean, you only gain 1" of elevation for ever mile
you go inland. I was at a friend's place in Katty, rained like hell, I was in my
Charger, I was fine... There was rain water pooled everywhere, so what do ya
do? SLOW DOWN... Anything over 40 you risk hydroplaning. I was in North
Carolina once, it rained so hard I could not see 10 feet in front of me, so I slowed
down. The people who have lived there for years and years? They were passing
me like I was standing still. They weren't hydroplaning all over the road, and this
was 20 years ago... Their highway patrol USED 5.0 Mustangs back then.

ANY rear wheel drive car, when on the fuel pedal, can fishtail on a slick surface
if the rear tires loose grip. It happens with front wheel drive cars too, but not
the same way, the front of the car will slide instead. I had a '07 Charger, RWD,
never had issued, but it has ABS, TCS, and a stability program. IF the car comes
with TCS, Stability control, and ABS, yes, much better.

I mean, real wheel drive cars have been around since the car was invented...
PEOPLE have changed, not the mechanics or the weather... You have to
adjust, that's it. Manuals used to be standard across the board, now you
almost have to order a car with a manual...
Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Wife’s 18 GT CONV

Originally Posted by codemonkey42
We’ve never owned a Mustang but my wife is looking at a 2018 ecoboost Premium. I’ve heard mixed reviews and looking for an HONEST opinion. My wife gets nervous driving in the rain and hydroplaning. We live in Austin TX so we don’t deal with snow but heavy rains at times and slick roads from ice and oil. I’ve heard even the new mustangs fishtail quite a bit and hydroplane. I also heard that the new mustangs are much much better than older mustangs and they drive like a normal front wheel coup. Not sure who’s lying and who’s telling me the truth.
the modern traction control systems are amazing , wife has GT and the car is safe, anyone driving in the rain like an adult will not have problems , you have to
tske the tcs off on that 4 cylinder to get squirrelly , and it would also need water and no tcs to break really loose, wife said it was a dog as I tried to talk her into it

if they would have put my 2.7 v6 eco ad the standard eco mustang, that would have been an amazing car

with tcs off it could smoke the tires off my F150 truck in sport mode

Last edited by Wife’s 18 GT CONV; 04-09-2018 at 10:58 PM.