New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2017 Mustang GT - 2nd and 4th gear violent vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:07 PM
SheenSplint

Default 2017 Mustang GT - 2nd and 4th gear violent vibrations?

Hello everyone! So I’m in a 2017 Mustang GT manual that came with 18k miles. I have never driven stick before, and this is the car I learned in. It’s been 30 days and the only big problem was day 1 learning how to actually move.

30 days later after a bunch of stalling as well, I can say I am competent at driving and am enjoying it a lot. Except for one thing that scares me.

When I shift into second from first, or into fourth from third, I am getting these strong vibrations that transfer into my hand. Shifting into first, third, fifth and sixth is buttery smooth and fine, but second and fourth vibrate very harshly. Today when I shifted into fourth the vibration was so violent it felt like the shift **** was slamming into my hand.

I was was talking to the person I got it from and they were annoyed to say the least. Told me that they can’t “baby” me forever and that this car takes many years of driving manual in order to drive it perfectly. Fair enough, I do keep bugging this person about little things that I don’t know, and I am only 30 days of experience with a manual.

They agreed to meet up with me tomorrow and see if they feel what I’m feeling. They told me that it sounds like I’m not shifting all the way, because they have never once felt what I’m feeling. Said that with this car that has a short stick, you can’t gently push into the next gear - you have to punch it. I have been avoiding punching in the gears because I watched some YouTube videos that said banging your gears is absolutely unnecessary and causes wear and tear.

Could it really just be that I’m supposed to be slamming those gears in? Is there something wrong with my gears already or the transmission? The video I saw I think was of a Honda Civic type r manual and the guy showed how you just barely put force on the shift **** and it easily goes into gear. I don’t want to damage my car, so I have been gently shifting into gears - which first third fifth and sixth again are butter smooth but when shifting gently into second and fourth, I get the crazy vibration.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:57 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I wonder if you are shifting at too low RPM bogging the engine and causing it to buck. Once it starts bucking, you have to put the clutch in and start over. Hopefully, they will resolve the issue with you.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:59 PM
SheenSplint

Originally Posted by proeagles
I wonder if you are shifting at too low RPM bogging the engine and causing it to buck. Once it starts bucking, you have to put the clutch in and start over. Hopefully, they will resolve the issue with you.

I’m usually shifting between 2.5-3k rpm. Master granny shifting for sure
Old 07-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

way low...If you are shifting at 2.5-3K that means when you engage the next gear the RPMS drop by 750 to 1000 and that's not taking into account the lag from shifting too slow.

That's ok for cruising on level ground but will bog the motor unnecessarily, especially if you take too long to find the next gear. That bogging will cause bucking which is bad for the motor.

Try shifting at 3-4K. That should get rid of the bogging since the RPM's won't go so low and will also help in cases where you can't find the gear fast enough.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 AM
SheenSplint

Originally Posted by Derf00
way low...If you are shifting at 2.5-3K that means when you engage the next gear the RPMS drop by 750 to 1000 and that's not taking into account the lag from shifting too slow.

That's ok for cruising on level ground but will bog the motor unnecessarily, especially if you take too long to find the next gear. That bogging will cause bucking which is bad for the motor.

Try shifting at 3-4K. That should get rid of the bogging since the RPM's won't go so low and will also help in cases where you can't find the gear fast enough.
Tried shifting at around 3200rpm. Any more and it’s just too loud with my Borla ATAK for only going 15-20 mph. I’m trying both ways of shifting. The slow movement where you gently push it into neutral, and then guide it into 2nd, and the “punch it” method. No vibration with the punch it method, and if I get the RPMs just right at 3200, the shift is sometimes vibration free and smooth into second and fourth - which was damn surprising.

I have an appt with the ford dealership in a few hours. They always give me a hard time, but if they can test it or at least confirm everything is working properly, I’ll feel a lot better
Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You mentioned the previous owner said it had a short shifter on it... did they actually replace the shifter with an aftermarket short shifter or they were just making a comment?

The stock shifter is far from precise. An aftermarket shifter will make the shifter more firm and it will be easier to find the correct gear.

A mustang is not the easiest to learn on. I'd driven several cars before buying my first one in 2000. Way different and had to relearn some things (like the clutch pedal) only needs to go up/down half way to engage/disengage the clutch.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:48 PM
SheenSplint

Oh it was just a comment. The gearbox and all is stock. Yeah I’m figuring that out lol but I think I’m getting the hang of it. I still get that 2nd and 4th vibration which just scares me. I’ll try to shift closer to 3500 and see if that helps. I had read that because the gears have synchros, you have to shift gently to neutral, and then shift into the next gear while sorta “letting the car naturally change gear”. That all goes out the window though if I’m punching it
Old 07-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

A short shifter (aftermarket) may actually help you then. They take away some of the vagueness/uncertainty of finding the correct gear and engaging it. The stiffer bushings and slightly different gate will make it easier to gain confidence and become more consistent.

Some would describe Ford Shifters in general as rubbery.