New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New forum member

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:13 AM
71coop

Default New forum member

Hi all - I just picked up my "new to me" black 71 Mach 1 last week. Its the second Mustang I have owned, but that first was over 30 years ago (it was a black 78 Mustang II).

I spent a bit of time looking, and found what I believe to be the straightest and cleanest body I could find - it is a turnkey car, in a very drivable condition, so not just a good roller. The metal has never been cut as far as I can tell, and its very clean and straight. The bottom is also exceptionally good compared to most of the cars I have looked at.

The car is really about 90% complete - some missing interior and trim items, does not have the Mach 1 stripes or hood paint yet, exhaust does not have the tailpipes (it's got a relatively new exhaust up to and including mufflers), and a few interior electrical bugs to work out - so it is a good drivable, working project (I love tinkering so right up my alley). The car attracted me because of the condition of the body/frame/chassis. everything is clean, all bushings are less than 5 or 6 years old, very good shape. Engine is a 351 Cleveland with the larger ports and open combustion chamber - but it looks a budget build, and I expect I will go through it within a year anyway. I'm sure I will find more, but that pretty well sums the car up. I am going through and changing/flushing all fluids for my own peace of mind this week.

Just introducing myself and looking for any help anyone is willing to offer - I will post threads as I tackle different items along the way. I believe I will attack the interior and electrical stuff this winter. Looking forward to it!

Jim

Bringing her home

A short run to the hardware store

My wife puts up with a lot......
Old 10-20-2018, 07:11 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

Welcome Jim,
your car reminds me of my high school days. My good friend had a 71 with 351 Clevelan. He put a lumpy cam, headers and new exhaust. It sounded awesome. He couldn't hang with the Challengers and chargers of my other classmates but it was a nice car. His was gray with black stripes. His brother bought it so I still see it around, Nice car. Good luck with it. Very classic look.

Steve

Last edited by hunter9s; 10-20-2018 at 07:31 PM.