New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Bad Clutch or Symchros?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Zac14gt

Default Bad Clutch or Symchros?

Hey guys so I've seen a lot of threads about the mt-82 transmission problems however my problem is quite different. In march 2018 I bought a 2014 mustang gt but it did need a new clutch and the shifter was broken but I thought It'd be a easy fix just buy a new shifter. (Driving with the broken stock shifter 1st gear and reverse were right next to eachother like if I shift into first gear it would be reverse, 2nd and 4th gear were super close together as well.) So I get the new Ford Racing shifter super excited to drive it after the install but when I go to install it one of the studs that hold the shifter bracket in place was broken in half so I literally had to drill a whole through the car where the stud was to put my own bolt in there for the new Ford Racing bracket to be bolted down completely. After the install the problem I've been having everyday is the car will not go into any gear unless I try to put it in other gears first. To get in 1st gear I try to go in 3rd (won't go in gear) then 5th gear (still won't go in) then once I try other gears eventually it will go in that gear and once it goes into a gear then I will be able to go into 1st and once I start driving there is ablsolutey no problem shifting except the clutch slipping and sticking to the floor but my problem is once the car is at a complete stop I cannot go into gear unless I try going into other gears all while holding the clutch down. So I've I've asked around and some say new clutch others say the synchros are bad just thought I'd post something on here to see if anyone else has had this problem and how they fixed it.
Thanks guys.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Syncros are for when the car is in motion, for grind-less shifting, basically.

If the car goes into the gears while NOT in motion, then it's not the shifter.

If the clutch does not fully disengage when pressing the pedal, it will cause
it to not go into gears or be hard to get into gear.

IF this problem did not occur till the shifter was installed, then, well, that's the
problem. Since you had a new clutch put in, and the shifter, it's gonna be
hard to know what the cause is. However, even though the other shifter
had issues, as you said, close together, BUT if it actually shifted into the
gears fine, then it's the new shifter installation.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Zac14gt

Thanks for the info man. I did put in a new shifter but I didn't not buy a new clutch yet so maybe from what your saying the clutch isn't disengaging properly so that's how come I can't get into gear when I'm at a stop.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging properly......could be the TOB or could just simply need bleeding (100 or more pumps on the clutch pedal).....be sure to check fluid level first!

If the clutch was shot it would slip and disengagement would be the least of your problems......slipping would be immediately noticed!!

Good Luck figgering it out!!