New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New (to me) Mustang in the stable...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 PM
ZenDragon

Cool New (to me) Mustang in the stable...

Hey people,
As you probably can tell, I'm a noob on this site...
Because....

I just picked up a 2004 3.9l Mustang. 40th badging, hood scoop and trunk fin. Pretty clean, no dents, a few minor blems that are to be expected for a 15 year old rig... 105,700 K on the odo..
Paid just under 4k.

This is the first Mustang I have owned. I'm a Ford guy. We have an F150 and an 85 Full Size Bronco.

Things I know and can tell have been done:
Radiator Fluid/Flush - Forced dealer to look at. We bought and took home checked fluid next day and it was sludge, milky oily mess. Took back to dealer thinking it was head gasket or worse a cracked block. They flushed once, drove 20 miles and tested, no signs of exhaust gases. Flushed a second time to make sure. I've put 100 miles on it (1/12/10) and going to check the fluid for signs of oil again.
Fresh Air-filter (done by dealer)
Engine oil & filter change (done by dealer)

Gauges were acting funny - There was a delay after starting the car. No gauges or dash lights for 5-10 seconds. It also didn't seem like the O/D was workings. No O/D Off light when i hit the button and I didn't feel a shift. so I tested the battery. 12.6v. Checked with car running 14ish.
Tested to see if the Alt diode was good. 0 when tested. Hooked up my BT OBD/II reader and no error codes. numbers look normal from what I can tell... So I look at the fuses... Something didn't look right. Took me a bit to orient myself with the OEM pocket manual and looking upside down (There has to be a better spot to put that engineers...)
No fuse in #5 - Indicator lights and Traction control.... completely missing.
I stick a 15 in there and turn the key....
WHOA! I got all sorts of dash lights I didn't know were missing... O/D Off - Low Fuel -Parking brake....
I'm blown away by this dealer... It came with a "29 point, ASE certified inspection"
I'm no ASE tech (cyber security engineer - tech geek) but I can turn a wrench and work on a lot of stuff, more motorcycles than cars, but I can get myself in and out of trouble just fine... How does coolant that looks like sludge, funky dash and missing lights pass a 29 point inspection...
Can't wait to hear their answer when i go back after the weekend of making sure there isnt a head gasket or crack...

Dealer has a 30 day thing where I can give it back and get something else from one of their 4 lots... they have an 08 Mustang GT, but its got 147k.... and want 10k.

If I keep this Mustang I plan on doing the following...
- spark plugs (factory copper only is what I read...
- spark plug wires
- rear differential seal and oil
- in line fuel filter
- clean MAF
- replace transmission filter & transmission oil
- replace power steering fluid
- replace PCV valve
- coil pack (not sure if I need to do that...)
- headlight restoration (inside is foggy)

Anything special I should be looking for?
Going to take it to a friends shop who love fords and have them do their 89 point independent inspection...
Hope I didn't get myself a lemon.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:51 AM
ZenDragon

Figured I'd add some pics.

So far so good, put around 150 miles on it this weekend. (Seafoam the tank of gas)
Coolant looks clean, there is some little specs of oil that i hope is just residual from the flush. I imagine it may take a few to get it all out of the radiator.
Taking it to the lot tomorrow...
Going to request they change the tranny filter - Top off not Flush - for all the troubles I've been through, and DnR the rear diff while there at it.
Still plan on having the guy I know run his 80 point inspection, as he s a ford guy I trust.

First Mustang I have owned. This girl rides nice! Handles great!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:40 PM
ZenDragon

Well after a crap load of drama from the dealer, I made them take back the 04. It was a lemon!

Now I've got a 2014 3.7l V6 6 speed manual.
Here she is...