New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Need Help with 02 Mustang GT inaccurate temp reading

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Hotgirl

Default Need Help with 02 Mustang GT inaccurate temp reading

Hi!

I desperately need help. 2 years ago my temp sensor/sender (all in one unit) had a break in the wire. I bought a new harness and it worked great for about a month. I also replaced the temp sensor/sender unit and thermostat at that time. After a month, my car would sit on cold for at least 5 miles while blowing hot air out the heater. The car was warmed up, but not showing on the gauge. If I drive it while it's stuck on Cold, then kill the engine and restart, the gauge magically goes up.

Because of this gauge issue, I spent 6k last summer for a new engine. The car had a plugged radiator, but the gauge never went beyond the middle on the gauge. The engine blew. The car could be on fire and the most you'll get on that gauge is in the middle. I told the shop when the engine was replaced and they blew me off. I just brought it back and they acknowledged the problem and apologized. They soldered the wires instead of using the connectors I had. They did a "sweep" on the cluster and said it is fine. The car is STILL messed up! It sits on cold, then if I kill the engine, the temp gauge rises, but it will NEVER go beyond half way even if burning. I cannot drive this car in this condition on a brand new engine. All of this seemed to start 2 years ago when the original wire had a break, but it did work perfectly for about a month.

Again, new temp sensor/sensor twice. New wiring harness twice. Fist connectors, then solder. No change! New thermostat twice. Cluster supposedly tested fine per shop. My engine shop can't even figure this out. Please Help!!!! Thank you in advance.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:48 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

i would think maybe try a gauge cluster. Or find someone with a moates quarterhorse chip, or some kind of tuning device to see what temp the computer is seeing?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Hotgirl

Thank you for your advice. The shop had it hooked to the computer and watched the temp rise while the gauge sat on cold. They suspected the cluster, but they said a sweep showed it was fine. They called the cluster rebuilder to get his input and he said it must be the wires. Those wires have been connected, disconnected and reconnected numerous times. There’s nothing on the internet about this issue. Once the car is warmed up and restarted, the gauge rises, but is never accurate since it won’t go beyond 1/2 way even if overheating. I’m absolutely desperate to fix this or I’m going to have another blown engine.... 😢
Old 02-06-2019, 04:18 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Tell the " shop " to learn how to voltage drop wires.