New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Thoughts about the 10sp auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 AM
runnerlk

Default Thoughts about the 10sp auto

Hi all,

I am researching the 2019 GT premium convertible with the Performance package 1. and i wondered what everyone thought of the 10 sp auto vs previous iterations. I am coming from a 2016 BMW M235i and it's equipped with the DCT and is a pretty amazing auto and this if from someone who has had manuals all my life and this BMW was my 1st auto.
I demoed the 10sp and it seemed a bit clunky and not nearly as responsive and wondered what previous trannys were like. It's really not a big deal as i will get a manual if I can't deal with the auto.
I'm excited about having my first of what I hope is many Mustangs.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

The DCT isn't really an automatic transmission because it has twin clutches controlled electronically to act like an automatic transmission so comparing Ford's excellent 10 speed auto to that is not a fair comparison. Now if you want to compare it to BMW's 8 speed automatic then that is a whole new ball game. See how you like the BMW automatic compared to the DCT and then compare that experience to the Ford transmission. The BMW automatic is probably the best on the planet as I have one in my M240 instead of the DCT because the DCT isn't really as smooth as advertised all the time. It is best when used in anger on the track because that is what it was designed for.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:29 PM
runnerlk

Hi, and thanks for the response. While technically it isn't a classic auto there is no 3rd pedal.......but yes I understand and yes I have driven the 8 speed. And true the DCT is meant to be driven aggressively in manual mode and that's where I drive it and that's where it shines.
I'm going to give the 10sp auto another spin before i decide on trans. If I feel i can live with it, then all is well, if not then the manual is always an option, and the manual is very cool.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:13 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The DUAL CLUTCH transmission is basically a manual shifted automatically. It has none
of the internals as a slushbox automatic. The dual clutches are for each side of gears in the
gearbox, one for the even, one for the odd. They have synchronizers, shift fork, everything
a manual does. The next forward gear is preselected, so when that clutch engages, the shift
is instant. Downshifting is slightly delayed on passing due to that preselect, but smoother
while breaking.

You can't compare a torque converter trans with a DSG/DCT transmission, they're totally different.
I love the dual clutch transmission. I had one in my '13 TDI, never had any problems with it. I put
243,000+ miles on it before buyback. They have a dry dual clutch too... The only issue it was
developing was the dornshift from 6th to 5th under load, it pulled out of gear before the clutch
action, so you got that THUD, not all the time. Same as if you were on the gas, and pulled your
manual out of gear, you get that thud...

Honda has been developing an 11 speed tri-clutch.