New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Spaniard moving to the Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:17 AM
Vangu

Default Spaniard moving to the Bay Area

Hey Everyone,

I am moving in 2 months to California, San Jose and i am 100% i will be buying a Mustang GT, i have now a brand new A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro and i have no feelings at all driving this turbo engine..

My question is since i will need it asap when i move because i wont have any vehicle, how long does it take to order a new one and get it delivered? I am planning to order a GT PREMIUM Performance package. My only doubt is to order it convertible or not.

Do you recommend to check the inventory available right now or order a customize one?

Last question since i am new to the US i wont be having any credit score, but i still would love to lease the car since i love to change cars every 2 to 3 years and thats the best tool to do it in Europe. Do you think it will be possible?

Gracias! And see you soon there!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:17 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

It takes 6 weeks if you are lucky to order one and your ordering dealer has to have an allocation available or it will be even longer. Don't know about the credit score stuff. You may need proof of employment, bills paid, etc. Welcome to the US.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:22 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

There is a ton of inventory in and around the bay area, choose a dealership and even if they don't have what you want in stock they can trade to get it... Generally if it's a dealership trade you will have the car the next day. The financing will probably be a tricky issue though. I'd spend more time on figuring out that portion of the deal as I almost guarantee you will be able to find the configuration you want in the local dealership stock.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Vangu

Thank you guys for your help! I will start to write car dealers to look for inventory and trade in.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Zooks527

If you arrive in CA in June, you'll be past the order date for a 2019, and will only be able to order a 2020. Those won't begin to come off the production line until August 24. Add 4 weeks for shipping / delivery / prep, and you're in mid- to late-September to have a custom ordered on in hand, assuming everything goes well. Cars ordered through the normal process are typically 12 - 16 weeks once order acceptance, standard "built 8 weeks after order acceptance" scheduling, and 2 - 4 weeks shipping. That's not always the case.

As an example, I ordered my 2019 on November 15. Delivery was on April 4, just about 20 weeks later, but I was caught up in the Great Steering Wheel Shortage of 2019. Dealers will tell you 8 to 12 weeks. That's possible if the dealer calls in a favor from the regional rep and gets a highest priority order.

Other things can slow the process down based on when the order is being processed. As an example, Ford doesn't build PP2 version cars during the coldest months of the year, after having to replace a bunch of Pilot Sport Cup summer tires that cracked during cold weather movement and shipping a year or so ago. Certain options can occasionally delay things, such as an inability to order a Premium Plus package car a month or so ago, when they ran out of the hand-stitched console covers.

Last edited by Zooks527; 05-01-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Vangu

So good info, thanks for this, i definitely will go in August to an inventory one, when should i start contacting the dealer to look for it incase they dont have? i dont mind to pay a fee for it beforehand.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Coyote5
1st Gear Member

If you're looking for a new one, I suspect you will find what you are looking for at a dealer. If you dont see what you want on the lot you are browsing at, ask them if they have it at another one of their dealer lots. They might have it to you in a day or 2, possibly same day from my experience. As far as leasing and credit goes. One of my coworkers went through a nasty divorce and his ex wrecked his credit. He leased a couple of cars before he ever bought one again. There must be some advantage to it in that regard.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Vangu

Originally Posted by Coyote5
If you're looking for a new one, I suspect you will find what you are looking for at a dealer. If you dont see what you want on the lot you are browsing at, ask them if they have it at another one of their dealer lots. They might have it to you in a day or 2, possibly same day from my experience. As far as leasing and credit goes. One of my coworkers went through a nasty divorce and his ex wrecked his credit. He leased a couple of cars before he ever bought one again. There must be some advantage to it in that regard.
Thank you!
Old 05-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Zooks527

Originally Posted by Vangu
So good info, thanks for this, i definitely will go in August to an inventory one, when should i start contacting the dealer to look for it incase they dont have? i dont mind to pay a fee for it beforehand.
Interesting problem. I can't see a dealer letting you put one on hold for 3 months, but it can't hurt to call a few, see what they have, and then ask about a hold.

As you get closer to September, prices on 2019 models will start dropping / incentives will start increasing as delaers try to clear out the old to make room for the new, but your selection will get more limited.

The other thing to check when you talk to dealers is to see if they can find one with the options you want at another dealer and arrange a swap between the dealerships. My wife got her last Subaru this way when the local dealer didn't have the particular one she wanted but managed to swap with someone a hundred miles or so away.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:44 AM
Vangu

Originally Posted by Zooks527
If you arrive in CA in June, you'll be past the order date for a 2019, and will only be able to order a 2020. Those won't begin to come off the production line until August 24. Add 4 weeks for shipping / delivery / prep, and you're in mid- to late-September to have a custom ordered on in hand, assuming everything goes well. Cars ordered through the normal process are typically 12 - 16 weeks once order acceptance, standard "built 8 weeks after order acceptance" scheduling, and 2 - 4 weeks shipping. That's not always the case.

As an example, I ordered my 2019 on November 15. Delivery was on April 4, just about 20 weeks later, but I was caught up in the Great Steering Wheel Shortage of 2019. Dealers will tell you 8 to 12 weeks. That's possible if the dealer calls in a favor from the regional rep and gets a highest priority order.

Other things can slow the process down based on when the order is being processed. As an example, Ford doesn't build PP2 version cars during the coldest months of the year, after having to replace a bunch of Pilot Sport Cup summer tires that cracked during cold weather movement and shipping a year or so ago. Certain options can occasionally delay things, such as an inability to order a Premium Plus package car a month or so ago, when they ran out of the hand-stitched console covers.
so great info! i definitely will go for something in stock that order a new one.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Spaniard moving to the Bay Area