New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Need Help Dad Passes I Get 69-428CJ he bought new

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:00 PM
Ridndirty

Default Need Help Dad Passes I Get 69-428CJ he bought new

Hello my fellow Mustang lovers I need advice!
The beautiful car in question is a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang w\428 Cobra Jet w\69,000 miles that my father bought new for my mother when he was on leave during the Vietnam war. The car is all original garage kept since 1971 besides paint that sadly needs to done again due to UV rays.
Ok, here is my concern for this beautiful fully functional fully documented car from build sheets, sales docs and service records is what to do with this Blue 69 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet Mustang? Do I keep it as is while doing all the upkeep as good as I can or do I market it to see what I can get $ or trade for another restomod Mustang if I can logically depart with this again Beautiful Car! I currently can't afford to do a proper resto let alone a true restomod (I would love to do) with completely new Ford Racing crate motor, Trans and rear (keeping original drivetrain in proper storage).
My father worked so hard for everything and died way to early and now I'm responsible for so much he left me I really can not afford to mess this up so I'm very patient.

Anything will help and Thank you in advance!!!
Old 06-30-2019, 06:34 AM
Solara

If you sale or modify that car you will be held in low opinion. That's some ****. First off, let's see it? Best thing you can do is save the paint, and keep the car as original as possible
Old 06-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Ridndirty

Originally Posted by Ridndirty
Hello my fellow Mustang lovers I need advice!
The beautiful car in question is a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang w\428 Cobra Jet w\69,000 miles that my father bought new for my mother when he was on leave during the Vietnam war. The car is all original garage kept since 1971 besides paint that sadly needs to done again due to UV rays.
Ok, here is my concern for this beautiful fully functional fully documented car from build sheets, sales docs and service records is what to do with this Blue 69 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet Mustang? Do I keep it as is while doing all the upkeep as good as I can or do I market it to see what I can get $ or trade for another restomod Mustang if I can logically depart with this again Beautiful Car! I currently can't afford to do a proper resto let alone a true restomod (I would love to do) with completely new Ford Racing crate motor, Trans and rear (keeping original drivetrain in proper storage).
My father worked so hard for everything and died way to early and now I'm responsible for so much he left me I really can not afford to mess this up so I'm very patient.

Anything will help and Thank you in advance!!!

Here she is and I know the paint looks good in the pic not so in person and like I said its been repainted with major UV damage. I want to drive this car but safety is an issue with 428 cubic inches of tire shredding hell on old suspension, old brake s
ystem, old tires and rims and I dont want to ruin the original state its in saving the old systems I would love to build.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Solara

Very nice. Perhaps it would not be such a debauchery to scale it to someone who can preserve it. If I were the owner I would restore it a piece at a time and then repaint it in the original scheme. Trade me str8 up for a 99 v6 5 speed, 35th anniversary? Runs great, clean title
Old 06-30-2019, 07:34 PM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

The car looks great in the picture. It would be a shame to do anything other than keep it as original as possible, especially since you know it's history from day one.

Last edited by ZGrand; 06-30-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:57 AM
69 stang guy

I would keep it in storage and due it up a little at a time. Believe you me you will kick yourself later if you sell it.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Grippstein

Ridndirty, my condolences on the passing of your dad. Personally, I would keep it. It's not only a classic that will gain in value, but it's also a tribute to your dad. The car has a great story behind it and will only add to the value. My first car was a '69 square-back hot rod that I bought in 1978. I restored it when I was 20 and held onto it until 1999. I wish I would have kept it just for the fun of it (not as valuable as yours though). This is the 50th anniversary of the '69 and I know there are some events planned around the country, probably even in your home state of Michigan. Here's one event at the newly minted Mustang Owner's museum in North Carolina:

https://www.mustangownersmuseum.com/...=1250&wid=4601

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:13 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Grippstein
Ridndirty, my condolences on the passing of your dad. Personally, I would keep it. It's not only a classic that will gain in value, but it's also a tribute to your dad. The car has a great story behind it and will only add to the value. My first car was a '69 square-back hot rod that I bought in 1978. I restored it when I was 20 and held onto it until 1999. I wish I would have kept it just for the fun of it (not as valuable as yours though). This is the 50th anniversary of the '69 and I know there are some events planned around the country, probably even in your home state of Michigan. Here's one event at the newly minted Mustang Owner's museum in North Carolina:

https://www.mustangownersmuseum.com/...=1250&wid=4601

Good luck.
There is one in Michigan -- Mach 1 anniversary celebration during Mustang Memories at Ford World Headquarters sponsored by Mustang Owners of SouthEast Michigan -- go go mocsem.com for more information. And Ridndirty, you should join MOCSEM.