New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Looking to buy a used Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Xenin

Exclamation Looking to buy a used Mustang

Currently I’m driving a 2006 Honda Civic Si. But I’ve always loved the 2013-2014 V6 Mustangs. I know, 2 completely different cars. The Ford dealership near me has a used 2014 V6 MCA MT with just under 44000kms on it. 2 previous owners and as far as I can tell the only mod is a Roush intake. I’d ask them to put it on a hoist so I can see what the underbody is like. Comes with a second set of wheels for the winter and one of the previous owners painted the grey MCA wheels gloss black, not sure why but the paint job sucks. The only problem I found when driving it was the rear view mirror rattled. Other than that it seemed pretty solid and no other issues.

It’s exactly what I’m looking for in a Mustang. V6, manual transmission, MCA package and silver. Price is good but could always bring it down.

My Civic Si just hit 240000kms and still going strong. Lowered on Tein and Koni, camber dialed in, air duct intake and Invidia Q300 exhaust, so it’s super quiet, aftermarket clutch master cylinder so I can shift as fast as I want. Front brakes are from a TSX as it’s a straight bolt on and bigger. Next mods are energy suspension bushings all around. It’s a fun car to drive and throw around.

Test driving the the Mustang and then going back to driving my Si is like night and day. I love my Si but I also love that raw unrefined American muscle car. I can have both but I don’t want to insure 2 cars and take up driveway space. A friend who owns a detailing shop offered to buy my civic as to which I’d put to a down payment on the Mustang and then offer free paint protection film on the Mustang. Pretty good deal.

So, if you could, please educate me on anything to expect on the Mustang if I choose to buy it. Maintenance, mechanical problems, defects, etc. I’m doing my research but actual input is always helpful. So far I’ve found that the water pump, end links, water sloshing around and knock could be an issue. I do my own work. My Civic has only been in the shop once as Honda had to fix my 3rd gear pop out under warranty. The rest of the time I’ve done the work myself or with some friends.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Only thing I really remember reading is the incidents where people went over 120mph and had the driveshaft break.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:20 AM
Xenin

Originally Posted by 1slow67
Only thing I really remember reading is the incidents where people went over 120mph and had the driveshaft break.
I had to lookup what that was in kilometres, lol. I’ll never go that fast. I’m all about handing and braking over power and straight line acceleration. Some extra power is great but I’m a sensible and patient driver but I do like going sideways in the winter.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Xenin

Well folks, I did not end up buying that Mustang. But I kept looking around and eventually another one popped up on autotrader. Cost was $300 more and exactly the same as the other Mustang as I was looking at. Silver, V6 6MT, MCA package, leather and backup sensors. The car was about a 4 hour drive out of town but worth looking at as the car didn’t even hit 13,000kms on the odometer, that’s a little over 8000 miles for you Americans. Practically a brand new car. 2 owners and no accidents. Smelled like a brand new car inside.

So I bought it 😃.