New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Not new to ponycars, but new here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 05:50 AM
74stang2togo

Default Not new to ponycars, but new here.

Hey, I'm Matt, and I'm borderline insane.

That said... I love Mustangs (well, actually, ponycars in general, it's just that I own three Mustangs at the moment!)

The first of my three girls is my 1974 Mustang II Coupe (formerly a Ghia, but I've stripped out almost everything that made it a Ghia except the comfortable front seats) that I call Nadine. She's got a built-up 2.3 that I'm in the middle of pulling out in favor of a 302 (finally nabbed a set of those elusive motor mounts on Ebay... $153+shipping!) I wouldn't trade her for any other Mustang in the world, as we've been together almost four years and I've poured a lot of time and effort into her (but surprisingly little money... didn't even break $1000 for the total investment until this year.)

The second is my 1987 Ford Mustang GT Convertible. I really don't have much nice to say about this car because I sold my beloved '75 T-bird (Bessie) because of her 12-16mpg average and slowly but surely mounting list of repair bills... This GT gets the same overall fuel mileage on average, and has already outdone Bessie's total repair bill from two years four times over in just six months... not to mention I picked up a car payment and doubled my insurance premiums switching to this car. But what can I say, I'm stuck with her, had her 15 months, haven't even given her a name! Wait... there is something nice to say... at least she has air conditioning!!!

Lastly is sweet little Lilly. She's my 1988 Ford Mustang LX Convertible that was cruelly abandoned by my sister and I brought back to life. She gets by somehow with a 2.3 that knocks a little bit, and A4LD that only has 1st and 2nd, and a 7.5 diff that howls till it warms up (changing fluid didn't help.) She's my steady little around-town car that never fails me (though she never sees the high side of 40mph either!) and is always there for me when my GT lets me down. If my GT didn't eat up every dime in sight this car would be beautiful... and turbocharged.

Oh, and I've got a 1975 Chevy truck that spent it's first 25 years working hard, and has played hard ever since. I call her "Blue", she's been in the family longer than I have, and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Not new to ponycars, but new here.

Welcome and congrats on all 3 of your stangs. But what I dont understand, is that you have a 3 stangs, 2 have 4 bangers, 1 a v8, but it seems like it sucks *****. Anyways why dont you go ahead and drop a v8 in the 88 and build it up? Well I hope you like what the site offers, I do and thats why I'm here, well that and to be a post *****.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:19 PM
74stang2togo

Default RE: Not new to ponycars, but new here.

Yeah, I tend to agree that my 5.0 sucks *****, she's dead in the driveway right now with a dead computer (I guess I need to add that to the impressive/depressing list of parts that have broken on her since I bought her in August of '04... and to think, I take it EASY on this car!)

I've been trying to save up to build up the '88, but the GT sucks up every single penny in sight... my paychecks are almost exclusively tied to keeping it on the road. My '74 sees no road time right now because I dropped insurance on her and put her in the garage when her tags expired (plan on making a race-only car out of her anyway, so that wasn't a big deal) and my truck hasn't seen the road except to move her to keep the city off my back since March (blew up the tranny street-racing a Lightning... I won... but at a big cost, lol, I'm picking up her rebuilt and built-up tranny tomorrow afternoon.) I've got a friend that's going to buy the '88 from me when she gets her tax return, and we (her husband, her, and myself, and maybe my dad) are going to do a 3-day marathon transplant of parts from her '87 GT hatch into the '88 because she's always wanted a 5.0 convertible, and I told her I wouldn't be comfortable sellng her my GT when I KNOW it'll let her down. When all is said and done I get to keep the 7.5 diff and 2.3 out of the LX, and she'll have her convertible... then we'll have to figure out what to do with her empty hatchback chassis.