North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Not going to make it wednesday

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default Not going to make it wednesday

Was at work today decided to get my car washed. got it nice and clean and pulled around the other side and polished my rims. after that i pull around the front of the carwash and decide to speed down the alley like i usually do to get the water out from behind the taillights.
i dont floor it but i give it a little gas about half pedal and all the sudden the back end slides out from behind me making the car go into a 45 degree angle

car goes straight for the wall
scrapes and i pull over to see what the **** i did...
driver side corner light is broken, corner of bumper is kinda screwed prolly going to need a new one, top of fender is scraped with white paint mirror with a little paint scraped on it
rear fender slightly pushed in with scrapes and white paint
rims scraped where tire meets rim

really horribly pissed off... couldnt stop shaking, really had to let my anger out on something but didnt
no body shops were open that i drove around by
which makes perfect ****ing sense, lets close on a saturday afternoon

really cant put down how i feel cuz i cant
so very ****ing pissed
Old 04-24-2004, 07:21 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Not going to make it wednesday

Well, don't know what to say to make you feel better, except be glad you didn't get hurt, and more important, nobody else got hurt. The car can always be fixed, so don't think it's the end of the world, cuz it's not. Just take a deep breath, think about what happened, and learn from it. We all make dumb mistakes, and trust me, I've done a lot dumber than what you just did (like roll my mom's car when I was 18, and drinking. That was totally dumb, but fortunately nobody got hurt). Just chalk it up to experience, and move on.
As far as body shops, take your time and get a few estimates. Also, check out their work on other cars there at the shop. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more for better work.
Hang in there, it's all part of growing up [:'(]
Old 04-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Kind of calmed down a little, it's not really that bad. Couldve been MUCH worse I guess.
Still why...
tires had to be wet or something...
it had to barrel towards the wall

i really hope this doesnt empty my bank account...
car seems fine
runs like it always did
its just that its no longer the black beauty i once owned
Old 04-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

heh actually
just spray painted the fender and it looks almost normal now
not pissed anymore just more of wow that sucks mood

so i MIGHT show up wednesday now, who knows...
most likely wont have intake in yet though
my winter beater is out of commission
so i cant start on my Vee Eight
Old 04-25-2004, 01:09 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Now you're sounding better
Old 04-25-2004, 02:20 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Hey, hope it works out. I know the feeling, trust me.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:58 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

sorry to hear about your mishap OB, but you learned one lesson the hard way that's for sure. anytime you go through a car wash or wash it yourself and jump right in it and go you're going to have some water drain out under your rear tires and it's like being in the burnout box at the track, no traction and then there you go fishtailing down a narrow alley with no where to go to avoid hitting something. I know you won't do this again especially after you shell out the cash to get it fixed, but we all have done stuff just as bad, so don't get down on yourself too badly.
Last month on the way back from a all day Friday test and tune at the strip I was stupid enough to pass an 18 wheeler doing 70 mph on a slight downhill grade on the 3 lane wide interstate on a windy day and let my 24', 7,000 lb. enclosed race car trailer fishtail out of control when I cleared the truck and a gust of wind hit it and was damn lucky I didn't kill myself.! My F150 pickup and trailer went from the center lane to the right lane in front of the truck, then back across all 3 lanes toward the center Jersey wall which I was sure I was going to hit but didn't and the trailer smashed hard into the right side of the truck bed which unplugged the trailer brakes and locked them up which miraculously made the truck straighten up and I went back across the 3 lanes of rush hour traffic and by some miracle of God managed to make a safe stop on the right hand shoulder of the interstate. I get out of the truck and looked back and I had completely stopped 3 lanes of interstate traffic on I-95 at 5:45 pm in the middle of rush hour![:@] One guy I had passed earlier in an SUV stopped to see if I was OK, and I told him yes and thanks for stopping, then I looked down and saw the trailer was unplugged, so I plugged it in and turned on the 4 way flashers. By this time, the traffic was back to normal flying by at 65+ mph, so I step across the hitch and open the trailer door to check on my car. It had moved around in the trailer a bit and broken the plastic center cap on the right front wheel, but was otherwise OK. Then I get back out and look down at the truck and see the right rear tire is flat, being cussing. Then I look closer and see the aluminum wheel is broken! Cuss some more. Only then did I look up and see the whole right side of the bed was smashed in level with the frame. Really did some cussing then! While getting the spare down from underneath the truck, I could see the hitch was also bent some in the frame. Managed to get the tire changed for the spare and got everything the last 8 miles back to the house OK without attracting the attention of the police which was a very good thing since the inspection tag on the trailer had expired last year and they sure as hell would have written me a ticket for that at least. It was the next day in the daylight that I saw that the trailer had also made a much smaller dent in the left side of the bed and the front right corner of the bed had been shoved up into the back of the cab leaving a nice 1/4 deep crease in it just below the back window! To make a long story short, the truck is now in the body shop waiting on parts and the repair estimate is $4,800 with me responsible for the first $1,000 and I have a rental truck that the insurance company is covering the first $500 on and that's run out so now I'm paying for it out of my pocket. Lucky for me my racing friend has loaned me his old 94 Chevy dually truck to tow my racer to the strip so I haven't missed any races, but I'm still pissed off at myself for being so stupid and losing control of the trailer like that. The trailer also took a bit of a beating and the lower right front corner is crushed in where it hit and broke the wheel and it looks like one axle is bent a little bit, so I'll have to get that fixed too!
Like I said early, don't get down on yourself, just learn from this bad experience and don't repeat the same mistake again. I know I will never ever let my trailer fishtail out of control like that again, that's for damn sure![:@]
Old 04-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

i hear ya, definatly wont be doing this ever again.

But now i realized something else. which is NOT good at all
my driver side rear tire rubs on the exhaust when going up a hill
not too much but enough, and any rubbing is never good
i really hope i didnt **** up my rear axle.
its driveable
but i dont want to **** it up
are axles hard to replace? and how expensive?
If it has to be replaced i'll definatly get a beefier one but ugh i hope thats not the case right now.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:08 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

I doubt you bent the axle. If anything got bent, more than likely it was your wheel. It can be checked by removing the wheel and taking it to a good wheel/tire shop. And I've heard there is a place (Manchester, I think) that can straighten bent wheels, if that is the case.

After Roundman's story, I bet you feel a little better, huh?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

yea but isnt manchester mighty far away from sandown?
is there any place u reccommend more locally to me?

Quick Reply: Not going to make it wednesday