Obsessive Detail Your source for premier detailing products. We carry Poorboy's World, ClearKote, Optimum, Stoner, Lake Country, and Porter Cable.

What to order to revitalize an old paint job

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Saleen326
2nd Gear Member

Default What to order to revitalize an old paint job

Justin,

I just ask a question about the optimum no rinse and aapreciated the response and information. I plan to order this week. Before I do though, I wanted to see what else you recommend to bring life to an old paint job. I have a 96 Saleen and it is the original factory paint, white in color. What products would you recommend and in what order should I apply them to achieve the best results? I no the vehicle has never been clayed, so I plan on doing that, but there are so many options, I'm not sure where to go next. Thanks for the help.

Jason
Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What to order to revitalize an old paint job

Jason

Are you going to be doing thiswith a machine polisheror by hand?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Saleen326
2nd Gear Member

by hand, until I work up the courage to buy and use a PC
Old 12-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

OK, the first thing you want to do is wash as normal. Now you want to claybar the whole vehicle since you said it hasn't been done yet. Don't worry about getting an extra clay lube, you can use the Optimum No Rinse that you are getting as a clay lube too.

Now you are ready to polish the vehicle. I highly recommend my OD Light Polish, this will remove oxidization, take out fine scratches and swirls, plus prep the paint for the next steps. Next I would apply my Wet Glaze to add a lot of depth and wetness. For your last step you have a few different options. The first option is to use Poorboy's EX-P sealant, this is currently on sale. The EX-P has a nice look but doesn't have the durabilty as the next sealants I'm going to talk about. Your next option is my Hyper Shine Sealant, this adds a lot of gloss and brightness plus is more durable the EX-P. Your last option is the Optimum Opti-Seal, this is a wipe on and walk away sealant, there is no need to buff off because it just dissappears. This has great looks plus great durabilty. I always recommend going with a sealant over a carnuaba wax for lighter colored vehicles, you will get more pop out of your paint this way.

For some nice applicators I really like the round foam ones I carry. The foam doesn't absorb the products like a terry cloth applicator so your products will go longer.

If you don't have any high quality microfiber towels I also carry some excellent ones. My favorite towel to use on paint is the Ultra Premium microfiber. The Plush ones are a good all purpse towel that I like to use on interiors.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there is something I didn't cover. Also remember that my free shipping over $35 sale is going on until Saturday of this week. This would save quite a bit of money.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Saleen326
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the quick response. Just one question. Is the glaze neccessary before the sealant or an added product for more depth? Could I go with this setup

No-rinse wash
Clay
OD light polish
Sealant

or would adding the Glaze before the sealant produce better results?
Thanks for all the help. I should have an order in by Friday. Just trying to get as muck information on what to get to maximize the free shipping deal. I'll be ordering some Microfibers as well. Thanks again.

Jason
Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

You don't have to use the glaze before the sealant, I just recommend it because it does add more depth and wetness.

What you got listed will work fine and still produce good results.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Saleen326
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the honesty. I may pick some up just to have around. I must commend you. You have provided excellent customer service so far. Can wait till I order some products to get the results. Thanks again for the help

Jason
Old 12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

No problem! Feel free to contact me over the phone at 217-304-7294 also. Ijust want to make sureyou get everything for your specific needs and be completely happy with the products you purchase.