Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Its time to end welfare

Old 04-11-2008, 07:49 PM
5.0LitreSN95
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Its time to end welfare

Keeping the existing Welfare system is stupid, scrapping all Social Welfare programs is even stupider and arguing about all this may turn out to be the stupidest of them all.

To those who propose scrapping all Social Welfare programs, and other "non-essential" government funtions I say this: The private sector cannot do everything, and does not do everything better than the government.I would like to know how you expect a private company to make money off of providing social assistance?Becausewith the private sector everything eventually boils down to profit. Even if the company provided money for those who needed it but required it be payed back with interest, it wouldn't work. There is no guarantee that the people will ever be able to pay it back, besides getting yourself out of current financial stress just to put yourself back into it later in life makes no sense.

Yes, the current welfare system isn't perfect, but its better than nothing. The problem with rectifying these problems is that it would require massive amounts of money and a great deal of effort, and it still might not work. No matter how well planned the system people will always find a way to exploit it.

My last point is thatfirst handevidence is almost entirely useless. Its unreliable, subjective, often exaggerated, and almost as frequently made up.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TRBOPWR

I have workedat a grocery store for going on 3 years now and the EBT system has consistently managed to **** me off. Where I am, the people who don't severely abuse the card are in the extreme minority. When they are coming through with $80 worth of steak, or a $30 custom made birthday cake, or a few pounds of crab, a dozen candy bars, well you get the idea. Just for clarification, here in OH no cigs, alcohol, hot stuff from the deli, energy drinks, or non food items can be gotten with the card. So they simply buy their food stuff with the card, and then in a separate order use their cash to buy their cartons of cigs, or couple cases of beer [:@] The program is broken, and badly needs to be fixed.

WIC is a much better program. Only set things on the card, in set amounts. So many cards in a month, and it is supposed to hold you over. For things like baby formula these can be essential, that stuff is stupidly expensive. They don't get the cards once their children are past the age of 12 I believe.
I agree with everything you said! I have been at a big grocery store here for 4 years now and I hate EBT food stamps. There are some exceptions of course, but 90% of the people that use it are retards. You can tell they dont have a job and are just plain lazy. They eat way better than I do. They buy all name brand products and tons of steak. Then on a seperate order like you said they always buy alcohol and cigs. It pisses me off every time I see it.

I'll agree WIC is a good program. There are a lot more restrictions to it and it actually goes towards needy moms.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Agree the Welfare rolls need to be trimmed further.

Point of fact. If it were not for Newt Gingrich and the Freshman Class of '94 Republicans winning the house largely on the back of the Contract with America, the current welfare rolls would be much higher.

After the Democrats lost the house and senate in 1994, as part of recognizing that Republican Victory, Bill Clinton signed the Republican backed Welfare Reform Act which pared MILLIONS of teat-sucking, strap-hangers from the dole.

Since Bush took office the Republicans have absolutely lost their damned minds and fiscally have become Democrats equal in fiscal irresponsibility.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:32 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0LitreSN95

Keeping the existing Welfare system is stupid, scrapping all Social Welfare programs is even stupider and arguing about all this may turn out to be the stupidest of them all.

To those who propose scrapping all Social Welfare programs, and other "non-essential" government funtions I say this: The private sector cannot do everything, and does not do everything better than the government.I would like to know how you expect a private company to make money off of providing social assistance?Becausewith the private sector everything eventually boils down to profit. Even if the company provided money for those who needed it but required it be payed back with interest, it wouldn't work. There is no guarantee that the people will ever be able to pay it back, besides getting yourself out of current financial stress just to put yourself back into it later in life makes no sense.

Yes, the current welfare system isn't perfect, but its better than nothing. The problem with rectifying these problems is that it would require massive amounts of money and a great deal of effort, and it still might not work. No matter how well planned the system people will always find a way to exploit it.

My last point is thatfirst handevidence is almost entirely useless. Its unreliable, subjective, often exaggerated, and almost as frequently made up.

Mine isn't. I lived it. You can choose not to believe it, but you may be stupid. Nobody knows but you.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:34 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

*bump*