2 speeding tickets dismissed in 2 weeks - Page 4 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

2 speeding tickets dismissed in 2 weeks

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

2 speeding tickets dismissed in 2 weeks

Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Drews10
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Yes, it can hold up in court. I don't think it's any different than a cop who paces you himself to determine you're speeding.
Thanks! I was hoping you wouldnt say that but I had a good feeling someone would.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drews10 View Post
Anyone know anything about a ticket that is an observation speeding ticket?

This morning I was driving to work and there was a cab on my right and then me, the cop clocked him at 60 in a 45 and literally ran in the street and flagged us both over. He said since he clocked the cab at 60 and I was passing him his observation ticket for me is a 64 in a 45. Can this really hold up in court? I would love to take him to court, he was not cool at all.
I'm not sure, but try what I did since you're also in Cali. Request an extension online when the ticket shows up and do a trial by declaration.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Drews10
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323 View Post
I'm not sure, but try what I did since you're also in Cali. Request an extension online when the ticket shows up and do a trial by declaration.
I will deff try it out. Thanks for the help
Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
Boner Exspurt

Originally Posted by TAMPAGT07 View Post
In Florida, alot of agencies are discipling officers for not going to court..Here in Tampa, most magistrates (traffic judges), will weigh heavy on prior tickets..If you are clean (and have a liberal magistrate) you will probably get off...If you have a bunch of priors, you will lose....They will tell you this when court starts and give you an opportunity to change your plea before you get hammered..

That doesn't sound legal. What you've done before has no bearing. We've all seen that on TV. (Yeah, I know it's not real life) but also played that way in real court cases on the news and on the paper. Maybe they get away with it because driving is a "privilege" not a right, or maybe they get away with telegraphing their bias because it's Florida, and Florida is such a backwater.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oxnard Montalvo View Post
That doesn't sound legal. What you've done before has no bearing. We've all seen that on TV. (Yeah, I know it's not real life) but also played that way in real court cases on the news and on the paper. Maybe they get away with it because driving is a "privilege" not a right, or maybe they get away with telegraphing their bias because it's Florida, and Florida is such a backwater.
The courts look to see if a person has a pattern of being foolish, if you have a lot of tickets on your record then it is highly unlikely they will reduce or dismiss your ticket, if you have a clean record or maybe a ticket from 5 years ago they'll let you slide because your really not a problem as far as driving goes. Courts are reasonable up here unless the person did something extremely stupid, then the fool should get smacked down.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM
drhoward

Sure sounds like tekkkkk to me???????
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I think he is talking about not being able to use prior criminal activity in trials, which, depends...

http://www.lawfirms.com/resources/cr...e-at-trial.htm

"Defendants can protect their right to avoid informing jury members of their past criminal convictions, if they do not enter good character evidence, which if done, can be disputed by the prosecution using a defendant’s past convictions"

So generally a defense attorney wont have the defendant take the stand if they have prior criminal history.

http://legalworkshop.org/2009/09/14/...trial-outcomes

but these aren't criminal trials, speeding tickets are civil infractions, and that is a jury trial vs the judge/magistrate who is aware of the defendant's past and can making rulings based on that. (Repeat Offenders)

http://www.ussc.gov/Legal/Primers/Pr...al_History.pdf (Chapter 4, part a, using criminal history and prior sentences to determine sentencing)

Last edited by Mishri; 11-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.