Go Back  MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Top 10 Rules for Driving In My State

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Top 10 Rules for Driving In My State

Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 AM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

We have our list of typical bad drivers in CO too.

1. When it snows we drive faster
2. No one merges onto the highway at speed, they expect the cars to slow down for them to merge.
3. The left lane is a constant battle between those that think its a legal speeding lane and those that think its the coasting lane.
4. In neighborhoods stopping at stop signs is optional.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM
GT=GettinTan

It's Dallas for me. Though, right now it feels a whole lot like Michigan.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Here is one real one in MT:

At an unmarked intersection, the person on the right always has the right of way. (Normally you are supposed to treat this as a 4 way stop in every other state I've lived in..first to arrive has the right of way). Since there is an air force base here with so many out of state drivers this turns into, stop at all unmarked intersections and see what the other person intends to do.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:11 AM
GT=GettinTan

That's MI, as well - whether the intersections are marked or unmarked. I think the people who made that rule didn't anticipate all four stop signs being occupied at the same time. No one knows who should go first since there is always someone to the right. At that point, whom ever starts to creep forward fast enough, wins.

We also have the, "I'm going straight through, you're going straight through, let's both go at the same time!" option. Only... it doesn't work for the people who believe in signaling-via-clairvoyance.

Maybe the solution is to put numbers on the fronts and backs of the stop signs: 1, 2, 3, 4. Lowest number goes. Problem solved.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

do other states have people that decide to turn left when the light turns green instead of waiting for oncoming traffic to go on the green and then turn when clear?

seen it several times.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by GT=GettinTan View Post
That's MI, as well - whether the intersections are marked or unmarked. I think the people who made that rule didn't anticipate all four stop signs being occupied at the same time. No one knows who should go first since there is always someone to the right. At that point, whom ever starts to creep forward fast enough, wins.

We also have the, "I'm going straight through, you're going straight through, let's both go at the same time!" option. Only... it doesn't work for the people who believe in signaling-via-clairvoyance.

Maybe the solution is to put numbers on the fronts and backs of the stop signs: 1, 2, 3, 4. Lowest number goes. Problem solved.
are you sure it isn't the first person to stop goes first? That is the only way it makes sense, why would you wait at a stop sign for someone on the right who is approaching and will have to stop?

The right has the right of way is normal throughout the US. I've never seen a time when all 4 people arrive at an intersection at the same time, if it does happen the drivers are supposed to agree via hand signals the order.. The way I would signal people the order would depend on who was going straight and who was turning, 2 people both going straight would go first. if that option isn't there, either then I'd point at 2 drivers who could go at the same time. You don't want to direct traffic (waving people forward) If you cause the accident by "directing traffic" you could be at fault.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NTI/A...OfWayRules.pdf

Last edited by Mishri; 12-19-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:47 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I don't really have any problems with the drivers in Alabama. Occasionally someone is stupid, but that's because some people are stupid.