Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Anybody good with Minis/BMWs?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:34 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Until your buddies find out about it.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

So how hard is it to work on those cars? Been thinking of finding a cheap one in need of work and fixing it myself, lowered on nice wheels and in British Racing Green they can look downright mean.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:30 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

We just picked one up in Mellow Yellow. It's a fun ride. Pretty fast and lots of cool little features.

As far as working on them goes, it seems like they might be tricky. Several of the Minis we looked at were actually broke down and waiting to be fixed. We even waited on one for two months. All the parts come from Germany.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:10 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daytripper540 View Post
Then I took it to Advance Auto Parts and had them check the alternator. It showed ZERO voltage from the alternator. I guess that goes to show you should always get a second opinion lol.
Those other bass-turds need a stern yelp review.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:43 AM
Daytripper540
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by akiba17 View Post
So how hard is it to work on those cars? Been thinking of finding a cheap one in need of work and fixing it myself, lowered on nice wheels and in British Racing Green they can look downright mean.

The worst thing about it is the size of everything. For example, all the interior pieces pretty much overlap. When I put in the headunit, I had to take off interior panels that I would have never dreamed would be required, including the entire glove box. It looks like for this alternator replacement, I'll have a choice of taking off the front bumper and grill or the passenger's side fender and tire to be able to access it. When it comes time to change spark plugs, I will have to very very carefully plan my attack. I really can't see how to change them without taking off the exhaust and coming in from the bottom lol.
But it really is a blast to drive. Hers is a shiftable automatic and that in itself is pretty fun. I can only imagine how much more fun the manuals are.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:33 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daytripper540 View Post
It looks like for this alternator replacement, I'll have a choice of taking off the front bumper and grill or the passenger's side fender and tire to be able to access it.
But it really is a blast to drive. Hers is a shiftable automatic and that in itself is pretty fun. I can only imagine how much more fun the manuals are.
This guy went a slightly different route, might work for you, or it might not, good luck.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:45 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev View Post
Bloody BMW, never heard of any electrical issues back when Minis were made by BL and had Lucas electronics

Although, ever see a new mini next to a proper one? BMW definitely fed it a load of bratwurst...

BL was ahead of its time in safety. when your mini wouldnt start in the rain, it wasnt a fault, it was the car tellling you that it wasnt safe to go out.