cutting cable television - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

cutting cable television

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
View Poll Results: DID YOU ****ING CUT CABLE ****EN TELEVISION ****KK? ?? ****??
YEAH
40.00%
yes
6.67%
yeah i did
0%
arm
53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

cutting cable television

Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

If they did allow cable companies to allow the subscribers to pick and choose their channel line ups, I'm sure you'll see a large increase in carriage fees, and you'll likely have some sort of base cable delivery fee (I'd expect around $15-$20, there is a lot of equipment that needs daily service to keep things rolling, I live in a small town and we have 6 guys just doing that(It's a difficult job, need a lot of knowledge, they are paid well), and the parts and equipment aren't cheap) and then the carriage fee for each channel.. some report claims pricing on average would be higher... maybe it would be $10 to add cable tv if you have Internet and phone, $15 for just internet, and $20 if no other services.. that would seem reasonable to me... or 5 10 15.. whatever the bean counters come up with to be competitive and attract customers and still make money...

Lets say for those 3 channels the fees go up to $6 for velocity, $4 for A&E, $4 for History... $14+10.. $24... or up to $34 if you only had cable.. The reason for the jump in carriage fee from .40 for History to 10x that, $4.00.. is because you have to figure they'll be getting 10x fewer subscribers.. and since hardly anyone watches velocity, they probably make .06, and would need 100x the revenue to stay in business after losing 100x their previous subscriber base...

Most cable companies give all of their employees free TV.. I'm sure if that happened they'd cut that back to only supervisor+ or people who are on call.. (Someone needs to be able to check any channel to make sure it's up or down in the field).. because that would turn into something like a $800 expense.. could you imagine a monthly bill of $1,000 if you wanted all the channels?

Last edited by Mishri; 08-12-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

hmmm.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

This is interesting:

http://deadline.com/2015/08/charter-...le-1201491303/

Charter's CEO says if he had his way, he'd let customers choose the channels they wanted.. but programmers have no incentive to allow distributors to do that.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:50 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Oh, poor ****ing him. I can't give my customers what they really want, so I'll continue to f*ck them because I have a monopoly.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Hmm... he can't.. legally bound to not let people, he would if he could.. not sure what you mean... ESPN has sued companies who have offered packages that don't include ESPN. (Because it's the most expensive channel at $6 per subscriber)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:08 PM
HRnB
Administrator

They could still bundle and give people their pick.
Let's say they offer a $35 bundle. You have to pick 35 dollars worth of channels. Some are more, some are less. All channels have a dollar figure next to them.
But then they have the $65 bundle, but you get to pick and extra $15 worth of non premium channels as a bonus. Etc.

Arbitrary numbers, of course.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

But they can't, because cable and sattelite companies are carriers of programming others make.. Those programmers dictate the terms for how/what they carry. So when they sign the contract to carry Nickelodeon, that also require a subscriber must also get their less popular channels, you can't get Nickelodeon without also getting Nick Toons, TV Land, Nick Jr, BET, MTV, VH1.. Each contract is different with viacom depending on what the carrier has negotiated, but there are always a few of the less popular channels owned by viacom mixed in with a package that has their most popular channels. Same goes with all programmers.. They are contractually obligated to provide those channels if you want any 1 of them.

That should be illegal for programmers to do that, and many cable companies have sued them, but it never works.

more info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fee-for-carriage

actually, verizon's "skinny" bundles are a good example of the must carry channels are.. because you don't just pick 1 channel, you get another little group(called channel packs).. it's what the programmer requires them to get with their channels... Charter has said they want to do the same thing. If you know who the programmers are, you'll see that the channels you get in each pack are mostly owned by the same 1 or 2 companies.

Last edited by Mishri; 08-20-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:08 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Just because there are multiple telephone or Dish/Cable in an area does not mean there is real competition any more than having 4 gas stations in town that all arrange to sell at the exactly same prices means there is real competition!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Unless they are colluding on prices, which I don't think is likely, then the market sets the price. If Dish or Direct thinks they could draw in more people with a lower price and still make an acceptable profit then they'll do it.

Same goes for the gas station, except that there have been several instances of them having been caught colluding to fix the prices.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Well Mr. D.. I'll explain it again.. the Programmers set the price... the people who make the TV shows and have the stations set prices and conditions (such as forcing less popular channels on subscribers) for their channels. each channel costs $, ESPN is $6, it's the most expensive there is.. that's why getting 50 channels cost $50... or whatever it is.. Most cable companies make money off of internet service, tight margins on TV. satellite makes their money because they don't have a cable plant to maintain, and thus, have higher margins. plus they get money when they sell bundles that include DSL/phone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cutting cable television

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.