cutting cable television - Page 7 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

cutting cable television

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
View Poll Results: DID YOU ****ING CUT CABLE ****EN TELEVISION ****KK? ?? ****??
YEAH
40.00%
yes
6.67%
yeah i did
0%
arm
53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

cutting cable television

Old 02-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude View Post
CableBoxes are now two-way communications devices too, SOME channels are streamed, those
are the on-demand services, like STREAMpix and anything you can use a menu to CHOOSE
what you want to watch. The picture you see on the screen is digital information is streamed, but not
over the internet, they're totally different frequencies and speeds,and one way; down.

Satellite is one way, digital signal, but with a second band for pay-per-view streaming, but it is
one-way, so you get what's coming without any option for data correction. It works though, for
the most part.

The internet signals are on frequencies below the visible picture signals. For decent internet, you
need at least four channels downstream, and one upstream, which is at 23700000 Hz. Downstream
channels are 507000000 Hz, 513000000 Hz, 51900000 Hz, and 52500000 Hz... Higher speed
modems will have more channels, and you always have more down stream then up.

Your cable TV digital signals are all over the the place, but above 552Mhz, as you can see, the
internet carriers are below that. Each channel is spaced out at 6Mhz apart, so from 552 Mhz
to 864 Mhz, are 52 6Mhz channels with digital information on them. This is channels of digital
information, not TV stations or actual broadcast networks. They carry 364 to 624 watchable
channels. Each 6-MHz channel is typically used to carry 7–12 digital SDTV channels, at 3 to 5
Mbits/second, one way, no ACK or error correction, which is why you may see a pixilated picture
here and there. It's just a continual downstream of MPEG2 data for low def...
Nah.. it's how they are going to be able to get 10Gbps upload and download over cable modems, all digital channels carriers will be gone it will be all carriers will be internet only over cable and the boxes being deployed now are capable of just streaming over internet, the spectrum app does exactly that, i can watch live TV, all the channels over internet... This will all be rolling out soon enough... I think the 10Gbps up will be near impossible outside a lab, and quite awhile for 10Gbps down to be offered.. but the cable companies will be capable. The cable company here does 1Gbps currently over cable modem... pretty sure they are using more than 4 channels down and 1 up.... there are no more analog channels.

Last edited by Mishri; 02-06-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:13 PM
08'MustangDude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
Nah.. it's how they are going to be able to get 10Gbps upload and download over cable modems, all digital channels carriers will be gone it will be all carriers will be internet only over cable and the boxes being deployed now are capable of just streaming over internet, the spectrum app does exactly that, i can watch live TV, all the channels over internet... This will all be rolling out soon enough... I think the 10Gbps up will be near impossible outside a lab, and quite awhile for 10Gbps down to be offered.. but the cable companies will be capable. The cable company here does 1Gbps currently over cable modem... pretty sure they are using more than 4 channels down and 1 up.... there are no more analog channels.
All you said, is "GOING to be able", that's not how it is, NOW... Where I am, it is all digital already.

"pretty sure they are using more than 4 channels down and 1 up.... there are no more analog channels"
I am only at 60/7, so I only have 4 channels down, one up. If I want more speed, then I get
more channels, the modem handles all that. They were examples, as to what my modem shows.
I have an eight channel modem, but only four down and one up are assigned. I never even brought up
analog. I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, so it has four up and four down, but only has one up assigned.
It is an eight channel modem...

DOCSIS 3.1 will support 10Gbps, and fiber speeds. Cisco demoed a proof-of-concept in May 2016, with downstream rates
of 890Mbps and upstream of 680Mbps. This is all done with multi-channel modems like they do now. It is like how it went
from 100 Mbps to 1000 Mbps LAN. 100Bmps only used four of the eight wires in the CAT5 cable. Now, with the 1Gbit LAN,
it's all eight wires being used, multi channel. Same as how 8bit CPUs went to 16Bit, then 32BIT, now 64Bit. More data
lanes = more throughput.

Coax cable fed internet has a finite bandwidth, so they use signal and switching technology to split the data lanes up,
into the channels that the modem locks on to. Each channel is only capable of a certain speed, so it's multiplied by
the number of channels they can squeeze into it. 10Gbit/s downstream is totally doable with more channels, and
definitely possible with hardware based (chip) compression and decompression of data. They're still going to need
some hybrid fiber/copper cable to be run to nodes... Cable companies already use lots of fiber now, it would not
take a major overhaul to do it. Still, they'll pass on any expense to us...

Oh, and you can still use a DOCSIS 3.0 or less, and only need the 3.1 if you wanted the higher speeds.

DIAL UP, great example, the BAUD rate was never any higher than 1200, that was all the phone lines could handle.
It was data compression that got you to 56k and 96k speeds, not the actual data rate. Data was compressed before
sending, then decompressed at receiving, and it worked quite well. Now, they're getting 3Mbps down, 1 UP out of
copper phone lines (DSL) with signal processing and multiplexing. Cable companies will be able to use their existing
coaxial infrastructure, but will also need to be full duplex-capable, modems and coax. So, a phone line is full duplex,
you can talk and listen at the same time. A CB radio, would be an example of half duplex, while you are speaking,
you can't hear anything any one is saying.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 02-06-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

okay, so here we are using 24-32 carriers depending on the node for the internet. Eventually all carriers will be internet as they switch to all modem(internet based) cable boxes... I expect it will switch to that pretty quickly.. can't give any timelines though..

anyway, my main point was that how I watch live TV shows is over the internet, using the spectrum app, no cable connection. I wouldn't say I only watched 1 TV show because Gotham was the only show I watched this year on my cable box, I'd count all the TV shows I watched, even on the internet.

Last edited by Mishri; 02-06-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Peacetaker

Mishri I just set up those Spectrum apps on the Samsung Smart TVs the other day, thanks - it was every bit as easy as you described, as I was expecting to have to create more logins and user names and all that, but it actually went really easily. Less than 10 minutes, and the SKids have cable without the cable box.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM
JimC

We were just looking at changing to Spectrum because my wife is tired of storms knocking our satellite out at times. I guess we need to get the "smart TV" for the other rooms and we can just use the app then, saves the cost of extra connections. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

peacetalker, glad that worked for you. The App is a little buggy, but works pretty well for me. Most common issue I have is it freezes, have to restart my TV or the app.

JimC - you can also get Roku boxes instead, or anything running android can download the spectrum app from the playstore... you can watch your TV anywhere that way, I do it in hotel rooms. Samsung smart TVs have the app available, not sure which other manufacturers might.

ok.. guess I can just go to the source:

https://www.spectrum.com/cable-tv/spectrum-tv-app.html

Ios, android, amazon, roku, xbox one, samsung smart TV.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 AM
08'MustangDude
5th Gear Member

The wife uses KODI and Exodus... I was able to update one of my TV BOXez so I could install
V17 Krypton, but the other one I got was newer and took V18... Wife is well chewing into the
1TB monthly bandwidth limit...
Old 02-13-2019, 02:05 AM
HRnB
Administrator

Firestick>Kodi>Insomniacs>Passion Led Us Here build 17.6 (18.0 is glitchy)
I'm not normally into builds, but this one is good. Updates on start up, clears cache on start, has a wizard hub to clean up storage. It runs smooth. Allow it 3 minutes on start up before browsing to update all add-ons. Then Golden.

PS. I have no idea about this stuff and I'd never use this! It's against the law you heathens! Get a ****ing jorb!
Old 02-13-2019, 04:09 PM
drhoward

I press the on button on my tv and shows appear. This all seems way to complicated.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:27 PM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drhoward View Post
I press the on button on my tv and shows appear. This all seems way to complicated.
haha, lol. My tv is the opposite. I have to pull the on **** to make the tv cut on. Then adjust the other 2 ***** to get to the correct station.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cutting cable television

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.