Impacts - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Impacts

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Impacts

Old 12-27-2018, 10:50 PM
  #11  
imp
3rd Gear Member
 
imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: AZ
Posts: 510
Default

Originally Posted by TRamsdell View Post
no no no. In fact you can even get a manual impact that you smack with a hammer. Zero no load rpms. They wrork super nice for stubborn soft bolts in small engine cases.
No no no, what? You fail to understand my point about impact loads. Extremely high forces are reached by hammering, far higher than can be
reached by just "leaning into a wrench".

What I'm saying is this: If you lay an object on the table, the force is equal to the weight of the object. If you raise the object up a bit off the table and DROP it, the force which hits the table is a MINIMUM of twice the weight of the object. Many times more, if dropped from higher up. This is called "impact loading".
imp is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 11:01 PM
  #12  
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
TrimDrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AL
Posts: 2,829
Default

so apparently the impact I posted has an auto feature. Which basically means it loosens at its 250 ft. lbs rating and tightens to 10 ft. lbs

I think I am going to do it, if i can justify spending that much on it. I could probably go by the pawn shop and get a dewalt for $100.
TrimDrip is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 11:46 PM
  #13  
99GTvert
is my username.
 
99GTvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,699
Default

18v unit instead?????

99GTvert is online now  
Old 12-28-2018, 05:56 AM
  #14  
TRamsdell
IN JAIL!
 
TRamsdell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ny
Posts: 366
Default

Originally Posted by imp View Post
No no no, what? You fail to understand my point about impact loads. Extremely high forces are reached by hammering, far higher than can be
reached by just "leaning into a wrench".

What I'm saying is this: If you lay an object on the table, the force is equal to the weight of the object. If you raise the object up a bit off the table and DROP it, the force which hits the table is a MINIMUM of twice the weight of the object. Many times more, if dropped from higher up. This is called "impact loading".
you misunderstand. You can get way more power on a nut with a wrench esp. With a torque muliplier. An impact works by repeatedly hammering at the nut. Its not really the same concept as dropping a case of beer on your picnic table
TRamsdell is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 AM
  #15  
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
TrimDrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AL
Posts: 2,829
Default

Originally Posted by 99GTvert View Post
18v unit instead?????
yeah, that is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger. When Milwaukee started making tools, they had the 12 volt stuff, then they jumped it up to the 18 volts stuff. Now they are going back to the 12 volt stuff with a longer lasting battery for the 12 volt stuff.

The thing about the 18v impact 3/8" impact, is it is the size of the 1/2" impact. That almost makes me want to just go ahead and buy the 1/2" impact and just get a 3/8" electric ratchet.

decisions decisions
TrimDrip is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 06:18 AM
  #16  
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
TrimDrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AL
Posts: 2,829
Default

Here is a video of the other one I am considering. It did take a Honda crank bolt out. That is a pretty big feat. If you are bored, look up on youtube how many breaker bar extensions people used to get a Honda crank bolt loose.

TrimDrip is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 05:44 PM
  #17  
HRnB
Administrator
 
HRnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern California
Posts: 25,459
Default

Just don't cheap out. I got one as a gift from Harbor Freight. Garbage. It's good for light work like fixing a bike, not lug nuts. I needed one mainly for the desert to swap out to sand tires on my side X side and truck. The cheap one is fine for the quads. I ended up buying a Makita. It's great.
HRnB is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:25 PM
  #18  
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
TrimDrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AL
Posts: 2,829
Default

haha, 50 seconds in and i'm sold

TrimDrip is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 PM
  #19  
99GTvert
is my username.
 
99GTvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,699
Default

Originally Posted by HRnB View Post
Just don't cheap out. I got one as a gift from Harbor Freight. Garbage. It's good for light work like fixing a bike, not lug nuts. I needed one mainly for the desert to swap out to sand tires on my side X side and truck. The cheap one is fine for the quads. I ended up buying a Makita. It's great.
Which cheapy harbor freight one you have?
99GTvert is online now  
Old 12-28-2018, 10:46 PM
  #20  
imp
3rd Gear Member
 
imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: AZ
Posts: 510
Default

Originally Posted by TRamsdell View Post
you misunderstand. You can get way more power on a nut with a wrench esp. With a torque muliplier. An impact works by repeatedly hammering at the nut. Its not really the same concept as dropping a case of beer on your picnic table
You just haven't studied Strength of Materials or Mechanics of Stresses.
imp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impacts


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.