Impacts - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Impacts

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Impacts

Old 12-26-2018, 08:29 PM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Default Impacts

I want to buy an electric impact.

One thing I liked about the snap-on air driven impact that my boss had, was it had a stop (I guess you would call it a stop) when letting off the trigger. The older snap-on impact he had would tighten bolts after the trigger was released. The newer one he had, I could dang near throw a whole engine together with it, minus the internal parts that are torques to spec.

I want to buy an impact that has that feature, but I am not sure what it is called. Also, I am interested in Milwaukee. A friend of mine uses Milwaukee at work, and he says it is badass. The reversing torques of the one he uses is 1450 ft. lbs. That is a lot of torques for a 1/2" driver.....(obviously, I want a 3/8" impact. Only a dummy would tighten tiny bolts with a 1/2" impact)
Old 12-26-2018, 08:48 PM
TRamsdell
IN JAIL!

Snap on calls it a brake. Careful with electric, they arent as consistent as air. I was at a point where i never used ratchets much just a 3/8 snapon air impact and a 1/4 snap on battery driver. Impact had 4 setttings, driver was clutched.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:37 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Default Impact Torque Ratings

Originally Posted by TrimDrip View Post
I want to buy an electric impact.

One thing I liked about the snap-on air driven impact that my boss had, was it had a stop (I guess you would call it a stop) when letting off the trigger. The older snap-on impact he had would tighten bolts after the trigger was released. The newer one he had, I could dang near throw a whole engine together with it, minus the internal parts that are torques to spec.

I want to buy an impact that has that feature, but I am not sure what it is called. Also, I am interested in Milwaukee. A friend of mine uses Milwaukee at work, and he says it is badass. The reversing torques of the one he uses is 1450 ft. lbs. That is a lot of torques for a 1/2" driver.....(obviously, I want a 3/8" impact. Only a dummy would tighten tiny bolts with a 1/2" impact)
Be cautious about accepting advertised impact torque capacities. They trump them up (no pun) to sell the product. Also, watch ratings for "no-load" speed. Very slow impacts deliver less torque. The reason an impact can deliver amazingly high torque levels is that they "hammer" the driver (socket) of the bolt. Same idea as imagine a 12 ounce hammer which when pounded on steel having very high strength, can deform and "mushroom" that steel easily, a feat you would only equal by laying weights on the steel equaling many thousands of lbs.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:45 AM
TRamsdell
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by imp View Post
Be cautious about accepting advertised impact torque capacities. They trump them up (no pun) to sell the product. Also, watch ratings for "no-load" speed. Very slow impacts deliver less torque. The reason an impact can deliver amazingly high torque levels is that they "hammer" the driver (socket) of the bolt. Same idea as imagine a 12 ounce hammer which when pounded on steel having very high strength, can deform and "mushroom" that steel easily, a feat you would only equal by laying weights on the steel equaling many thousands of lbs.
no no no. In fact you can even get a manual impact that you smack with a hammer. Zero no load rpms. They wrork super nice for stubborn soft bolts in small engine cases.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:37 AM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp View Post
the torques I am not worried about with Milwaukee. My buddy that uses one is a bus mechanic. He loosens lug nuts and bolts a lot bigger than I will on my mustang.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:41 AM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRamsdell View Post
Snap on calls it a brake. Careful with electric, they arent as consistent as air. I was at a point where i never used ratchets much just a 3/8 snapon air impact and a 1/4 snap on battery driver. Impact had 4 setttings, driver was clutched.
By consistent do you mean, the battery drains and the torques lowers? Or I can't put a water pump on my car by bumping the trigger of the impact?

And thanks for the feedback on the brake. I may have to go with air with I can't get that feature in an electric.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 12-27-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:11 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/off-...age-diyer.html

​​​​​I made a similar thread about this about 20 years ago about a similar topic

I've retained about 4% of the knowledge so I am expurt, ask me anythng

​​​​​just posted for more reading. Air tools need more space and will make more noise due to compressor, but vibrating = happy, so theres that
Old 12-27-2018, 06:45 AM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert View Post
https://mustangforums.com/forum/off-...age-diyer.html

​​​​​I made a similar thread about this about 20 years ago about a similar topic

I've retained about 4% of the knowledge so I am expurt, ask me anythng

​​​​​just posted for more reading. Air tools need more space and will make more noise due to compressor, but vibrating = happy, so theres that
thanks for the feedback.

I am leaning towards going with this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-2...32e3:rk:1:pf:0

Then telling my buddy with the bad *** 1/2" impact he can borrow it for jobs if he lets me borrow his to do bigger jobs. I think this would be the best route.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:54 PM
TRamsdell
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by TrimDrip View Post
By consistent do you mean, the battery drains and the torques lowers? Or I can't put a water pump on my car by bumping the trigger of the impact?

And thanks for the feedback on the brake. I may have to go with air with I can't get that feature in an electric.
yeah, as the battery drives there's a loss of power, not as noticeable nowadays, but still there.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Has OP considered Deep Impact?

Last edited by Mishri; 12-27-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impacts

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.