Go Back  MustangForums.com > Other > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Strange Brew The Beer Appreciation Thread

Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Strange Brew The Beer Appreciation Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I used to like IPA's but now something in the taste is off putting.
For me it's the bitterness. It doesn't sit well with me. I keep trying them because there's always someone that tells me "this one is different". Nope.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:10 PM
drhoward

Originally Posted by TRamsdell View Post
Worse than OV that has been on a hot boat for a week ?
Hey don't be bashing old vagina now!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 AM
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drhoward View Post
I don't think I've actually ever tried fosters. I've asked a few Aussies about it and they all say it's the worst beer in the country, lol HAHA OMG!
I figured they would be a fan of the golden throat shower
Old 03-08-2019, 06:17 AM
TRamsdell
IN JAIL!

Arm poll?
Old 03-08-2019, 12:07 PM
drhoward

Your arm is a
Spoiler
ARM POLL

Get it! Because it's an arm!

Last time I was in Mexico I drank a lot of Modelo, I actually didn't mind it but it was at an all inclusive resort so when it's free everything tastes good. I've never had it otherwise, is it actually any good?
Old 03-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Peacetaker

I don't think I've actually ever tried fosters. I've asked a few Aussies about it and they all say it's the worst beer in the country, lol HAHA OMG!
Iíve heard and read the same thing from every Australian Iíve conversed on the subject about, as well. I donít dislike Fosters.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Peacetaker

Originally Posted by TRamsdell View Post
Worse than OV that has been on a hot boat for a week ?
Flashback... in Korea, they had OB beer. It was all we got in the Ďville. I personally was ok with it, though hangover headaches were like a fuggin sledgehammer the next day. We were told the Koreans preserved their beers and wines (there was a delightful peach champagne we drank copious amounts of as well, primarily the peach flavored ďOscarĒ).

Drawing a blank - what is OV beer?
Old 03-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Peacetaker

Originally Posted by HRnB View Post
For me it's the bitterness. It doesn't sit well with me. I keep trying them because there's always someone that tells me "this one is different". Nope.
As an IPA fan, I would never steer you toward an IPA because I know, an IPA is an IPA. Thereís no getting around it. What I WOULD suggest is trying a Hefeweizen, which is something Iíve found as a phenomenon of peoplesí tastes, if you like beer, but not an IPA because of its bitter bite, you r taste buds swing the direction of a Hefe. Iím thinking your tastes might find Blue Moon to be agreeable, maybe ďShock Top,Ē which I canít do at all without making cringeface. Like I say, the only thing thatís wrong is to drink a beverage that you donít enjoy - and itís definitely not wrong if you donít like certain types of beer, but itís best if you sample around till you find what works. Even folks who donít like beer often like Zima or Smirnoff Ice or Mikeís Hard Lemonade or others - and I sure canít begrudge anyone for liking what their taste buds tell them to like. If you havenít, give a Hefe a shot - or Blue Moon, especially with a wedge of Valencia Orange. Might be right up your alley. But if anyone says to you that ďthis IPA is different,Ē tell them this IPA guy (me) who loves the bite of an IPA says IPAs are IPAs, and thatís what sets them apart - just like Hefes, Stouts, Pilsners, Lagers, and so on. Itís ok to have a favorite, and itís ok to not like them all. Taste around a little, and I think youíll probably favor the Hefe (unless strong tasting beers arenít your thing, which Iíd then suggest a blonde or light, maybe a Pilsner or as a stretch a lager). Ales are quite varied, so I canít make a blanket statement on them, but I donít believe Iíve had an ale I had to dump out (reds, creams, and the cousin: malt liquors). I have some Wiehenstephaner thatís said to be close to the true Berlinerweisse (a whole different ball game than typical Wesse or Hefeweizen because the Berlinervolk have a different way of doing it), and it sort of needs a little spritz of raspberry syrup in it. Just to try something different, you might see if that curls your toes, too. Good luck in your journey, and prosit!

Your arm is a
Spoiler
ARM POLL

Get it! Because it's an arm!

Last time I was in Mexico I drank a lot of Modelo, I actually didn't mind it but it was at an all inclusive resort so when it's free everything tastes good. I've never had it otherwise, is it actually any good?
Best beer is free beer! Cold AND free? BONUS! Modelo Blanco and Modelo Negra are both great, though I am not a fan of their higher price and the stupid foil on the cap. But the beer inside is very nice. Fiancťe likes PacŪfico as well, same company - though that one is not my fave. Boozer, thinking about it, PacŪfico might be something youíd like a lot, too, as I recall the flavor being like a mild version of a wheat. Worth a try if you havenít.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:02 PM
HRnB
Administrator

I do enjoy Hefeweizen. I've liked Bavarian beers before the Blue Moon fad. I like most wheat malt beers.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Peacetaker

Originally Posted by HRnB View Post
I do enjoy Hefeweizen. I've liked Bavarian beers before the Blue Moon fad. I like most wheat malt beers.
Cool. I think about the taste buds, and our sweet/salty/sour/bitter buds are all going to vary a little. What some folks like might be nasty to someone else, and that seems to be the case in about 3/4 of the folks Iíve discussed beer with, that if you like an IPA (bitter), you wonít like a wheat (to me, sour - how about you?) - and wheat fans wonít like the bitter of an IPA. I love the bite of the IPA, plus I taste a - I canít really describe it, perhaps herbal or floral - flavor that makes me think of freshness. I donít really know how to describe it other than that.

Out of curiosity, I love the aroma and flavor of fresh home grown basil - how about you? That ďfreshĒ aroma and taste is similar to a mental image as an IPA (though they donít taste the same).

I also think that, like steak and steak sauce, any beer that requires fruit to make it taste better is generally not very good beer. I know thatís true of the flavored spirits (apple, cinnamon, whatever) of whiskey, especially the small batch stuff. Iím not someone who likes to put lime in my beer.

Adding - of the 1/4 of folks who like wheat AND the IPAs, they tend to like ALL beers, and I call them ďAstronautsĒ because astronauts typically have to have the body of an athlete and the mind of a physicist - that can seemingly do anything. Itís a rare person who likes them all.

Last edited by Peacetaker; 03-08-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Brew The Beer Appreciation Thread

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.