MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://mustangforums.com/forum/off-topic-10/)
-   -   Strange Brew The Beer Appreciation Thread (https://mustangforums.com/forum/off-topic/736996-strange-brew-the-beer-appreciation-thread.html)

Peacetaker 03-06-2019 07:28 PM

Strange Brew The Beer Appreciation Thread

NNNNNORM!!!!

It’s not for everyone, but it’s a passion for many of us.

Ive thought about home-brewing, but there are so many awesome beers out there that I know it’d be an exercise in futility.

In Texas, we have a few Texas beers. Of course, Lone Star - though that’s a way down on my list. Shiner is a long-standing favorite, and Rahr of FtWorth is a really good (relatively) newcomer.

For the love of beer, what’s your brew of choice?

JimC 03-06-2019 08:05 PM

So many great ones out there like you said. I am a member of a home brewing group back in Michigan, and whenever we met people brought some of their creations to taste.

I'm hoping this summer to try some home brewing.

We have several small craft brewers in Winston Salem. Some very good things from Foothills brewing and Joymongers Barrel Hall. The Foothills Sexual Chocolate is a great dark beer. There are a couple that I haven't had a chance to try out yet - this summer will give me time to get to them.

Peacetaker 03-06-2019 08:26 PM

Done some business in CLT, neat town full of pretty girls back then!

Shiner has its seasonal beers, plus its perennial favorites Shiner Bock. Good stuff.

I like IPAs a lot, and they have some occasional “Brewer’s Pride” specialty beers that are around for a limited time, and this latest is a double IPA. VERY hoppy, which is right up my alley (I know it’d be too hoppy for a lot of folks - everyone’s taste buds will vary).

I’ve noticed a lot of folks like a Weiss or Hefeweizen type of beer, but not a hoppy beer - or the other way around. I chalk it up to taste buds... to me, a Hefe leaves a little bit of buttermilk flavor, which is a bit bitter to me.

I like pilsner, porter, ale, a lot of different beers - though the wheats remain my least favorite.

drhoward 03-06-2019 08:35 PM

There are so many damn craft breweries out there these days it's hard to find one that you like.......and when I do find one, I get too loaded to remember what the hell I was drinking. If I'm just out in the car hold drinking and working on my car I usually just stick to the bigger brands, I like Molson Canadian and Kokanee (not sure if you can get that down in the US or not). I like some darker beers as well, guiness etc. But I just have a thing for blondes and 9 times out of 10 end up with one.

Peacetaker 03-06-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by drhoward (Post 8647621)
There are so many damn craft breweries out there these days it's hard to find one that you like.......and when I do find one, I get too loaded to remember what the hell I was drinking. If I'm just out in the car hold drinking and working on my car I usually just stick to the bigger brands, I like Molson Canadian and Kokanee (not sure if you can get that down in the US or not). I like some darker beers as well, guiness etc. But I just have a thing for blondes and 9 times out of 10 end up with one.

Molson and Labatt are my favorite Canadians so far, never tried Kokanee.

Blondes and and reds are nice, Leinenkugel Honey Weiss and Leinie Red are good.

drhoward 03-06-2019 10:05 PM

I'm not as big of fan of reds, there are some pretty popular reds up here - Ricards Red is one (lots of my buddies that like reds prefer that one, worth checking out if you see it for sale down there) I just can't get into it.

HRnB 03-07-2019 01:17 AM

I don't care for most dark beers. If they're throw-up smelling like Newcastle, I'm out. Although I'll take one if there's nothing else and I'm 3 sheets to the wind. ;)
I'm with Doc, I like the blondes. Blue eyes with a nice ass. Although I like Dos Equis too. A Latin beauty that's only 2 XXs, but after you drink enough, 3 XXXs and you might find yourself in a tub of ice and missing an organ in the morning. :rolleyes:

TRamsdell 03-07-2019 04:53 AM

Pilsners suck, basement brew IPA's are basically possum piss, there's only one way to go...
Molson Canadian
/thread

Peacetaker 03-07-2019 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by drhoward (Post 8647634)
I'm not as big of fan of reds, there are some pretty popular reds up here - Ricards Red is one (lots of my buddies that like reds prefer that one, worth checking out if you see it for sale down there) I just can't get into it.

Will look, fanks.

Originally Posted by HRnB (Post 8647688)
I don't care for most dark beers. If they're throw-up smelling like Newcastle, I'm out. Although I'll take one if there's nothing else and I'm 3 sheets to the wind. ;)
I'm with Doc, I like the blondes. Blue eyes with a nice ass. Although I like Dos Equis too. A Latin beauty that's only 2 XXs, but after you drink enough, 3 XXXs and you might find yourself in a tub of ice and missing an organ in the morning. :rolleyes:

New Castle is tasty, though it’s best w a meal. Not my go to beer, but nice on a cool day. Dos Equis Lager is good, I prefer their Amber most of the time. Michelin Ultra Amber is my favorite low-calorie beer to date.

Originally Posted by TRamsdell (Post 8647694)
Pilsners suck, basement brew IPA's are basically possum piss, there's only one way to go...
Molson Canadian
/thread

Pilsners rock, dude. :)

IPAs, being hoppy, have a faint skunk aroma, but the bite of the flavor is very entertaining. I also have the BEST dreams with a really hoppy beer - seems it’s a thing for some folks (and I’m one o dem).

Molson is excellent! Who doesn’t like getting piss ya pants drunk and standing around saying like a Canuckian, “Môlllllson Gôlllllden, eh?” We Americans feel sô cultured when we imitate Bob and Doug McKenzie. “Take off, hôser!”

Mishri 03-07-2019 09:41 AM

I need to watch that movie again sometime soon.. it's been many years.

I usually like hefe and stout,depends on my mood, and can't do too many stouts in a row, too thick.. there are a ton of good ones in MT alone.. mostly I drink bud light or MGD... I was drinking microbrews all the time.. just got sick of them. now I drink whiskey most of the time, and beers just because that's all they serve at the pizza place next to my house. Or beer if I'm out camping and planning on drinking all day long. I don't like IPAs and I'll drink most of the cheap beers..