Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

For anyone using Mobile 1 ?? This may SHOCK you

Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teetertotter
A most interesting test you performed. My son in law has a 38 foot GO-FAST powered with twin 525's in Charlevoix, MI. We will be seeing them 3rd week in July and will mention it to him. My daughter has a sticker on the back, " Suck'n Gas & Haul'n A..." For auto usage I have been Mobil 1 user since 1974 and change every 10K. My Stang just turned 106K, automatic and still turns 28-30mpg at 70mph summer time. I also insure I use tier 1 fuel for wife's 6 cyl SUV too. I break our cars in the right way too before using the heavy foot for first 2000 miles. Mobil 1 is readily available where my local mechanic works on my car for maintenance upkeep. Again, nice ACTUAL test data running constantly at high RPM
Another thing about good synthetics that is often overlooked is how they perform when things go drastically wrong. Our air intakes are ducted in from outside the boat, this past summer we were running offshore in 4's at very close to 90 mph. He took a bad launch and the boat came down on it side pumping a lot of water directly onto the top of the 1050 carbs. There was enough to hydro-lock one piston which blew a hole in the head. We had to run nearly an hour like this, I knew the motor was toast so I wasn't concerned about any more damage as long as it ran. I had 2 broken ribs from the impact so the motor was indeed the least of my worries. When I drained the oil it was a milk shake, it was almost a qt high from all the water in it as well. Surprisingly, when I tore the motor apart, aside from the hole in the head all the bearings were perfect. Even all the bores looked freshly honed, they should since the motor only had about 4 hours on it since the build.

It may not be scientific but I am sold on only buying the best oil.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

That test isn't what shocks me.....this real world test about Mobil 1 shocks me.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1688909&page=9

Scroll down that page to see pictures of cam wear. Also read ahead (40+ pages to see follow up photos). A good read about engine oil wear.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
It may not be scientific but I am sold on only buying the best oil.
You buy Amsoil too?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
This may shock you, it is spelled Mobil 1 not Mobile 1.

It's a oil company , not a city in Alabama.
you sure he wasn't referring to the device that hangs over a babies crib, and spins with music to keep them occupied?

HA!

Oh wait, I've heard of Mobile, Alabama....that's somewhere between here and Greenbow "Gump". Ya know I live in "lower Alabama" as we call it here.