Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Increased oil weight, and MPG improved, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Just so I can be better educated, can you describe in depth what this shearing resistance is you are describing? I am not familiar with the term and how a fluid can resist shearing forces. Forgive me, when I think of shearing forces, I think of solids (the ultimate form of shearing force resistance, at least until the material fails).
Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'd start here. Not sure what happens on a molecular level, but I doubt it to be good.

Norm
Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Thanks Norm.

To put it in easy terms Jim5.0,

Let's say a lubricant is formulated to be a 30W at 100*C, but as the additive pack and base stock break down after many miles of use the oil thins to a 20W oil. This is called shearing.

100% true synthetics resist shearing much better than a petroleum (group III) based oil due to the superior PAO group IV base stock and additive pack. Just another reason why you have much longer drain intervals of a true synthetic.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:52 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Remember all oils are formulated differently. A thin 30-weight is more likely to drop to a 20-weight with just a little bit of shearing. A thick 30-weight will have a longer way to go before it thins, if at all.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Very true Dreamer, good addition of information. Seems I always forget the detail while typing at work.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

K found it. Great write up I will be switching back to 0w30. If you weren't aware if you register with amsoil they will recognize you as a preferred customer and sell everything they supply at wholesale. But from the wealth of knowledge you possess I will assume you are already a dealer
Old 03-03-2011, 11:32 AM
EVILHORSE

This was a great read unleashedbeast , but will i see the same results on a 4.0L v6 as you do your V8's ???????
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EVILHORSE
This was a great read unleashedbeast , but will i see the same results on a 4.0L v6 as you do your V8's ???????
of course you will, the same principals apply. Try it, and see for yourself.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 AM
keisha008

I notice this thread is almost 2-years old, but since it discussed oil related issues, I decided to still add my post in this thread. Just recently I learned that Ford company is working on improving gas mileage requirements in its automobile. With regard to this, I do not even have to buy a hybrid to get something fuel efficient. I used a site I came across to help me find a Ford in Brooklyn. You can check out this site here for more info: Courtesy cars Brooklyn.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Great info! thanks for the work, but a few questions for you...
Am I correct in assuming that the same concept applies to my 5.0 engine? and also I assume that any full synthetic, Amsoil, Royal purple, etc.. will have the same effect on performance?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Increased oil weight, and MPG improved, Possible?