Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

oil change for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
02stangridin
2nd Gear Member

Default oil change for a newbie

I just bought an 02 mustang gt wednesday and im going to change the oil in it tomorrow. The service engine soon light came on today and I checked the oil and it was low. I added a quart of oil but it was still on. The car has 65k miles and the guy I bought it from has barely drove it in the last few months. He told me that he did use full synthetic every change since he has had it. My question is what is the best oil and filter to get? I was thinking to get motorcraft from walmart but I don't know exactly what to get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure I use 5 quarts as well right? I have been driving trucks so I am new to changing the oil in a mustang so any help is great. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Well, if you are looking for the best...look no further than AMSOIL. You can't buy it over the counter, but if you are willing to wait 2 days tops to receive the product, you will have the best oil money can buy.

I highly recommend the SSO 0W-30 for your 4.6L engine. AMSOIL even lists it as the best choice for your car. The Ea011 oil filter is the absolute best you can buy as well. You can even run this for the full year, or up to 25,000 miles *whichever occur first*.

You can settle for an average lubricant from the parts store, but you may want to read other threads in this section before making a decision. Allow me to suggest some reading to help you on your way.

Also, your engine requires 6 quarts.

Synthetic oil

Increased oil weight, and MPG improved, Possible?

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 09-12-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

how long do you go between changes? What kind of driving to you do? Is the car leaking oil or burning it? Go to a auto parts store and get the check engine light checked out.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

The check engine light really has nothing to do with low oil, get it checked
Yea, Motorcraft blend oil/filter from Wally World can't be beat!!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 PM
MR BACKHAND

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Well, if you are looking for the best...look no further than AMSOIL. You can't buy it over the counter, but if you are willing to wait 2 days tops to receive the product, you will have the best oil money can buy.

I highly recommend the SSO 0W-30 for your 4.6L engine. AMSOIL even lists it as the best choice for your car. The Ea011 oil filter is the absolute best you can buy as well. You can even run this for the full year, or up to 25,000 miles *whichever occur first*.

You can settle for an average lubricant from the parts store, but you may want to read other threads in this section before making a decision. Allow me to suggest some reading to help you on your way.

Also, your engine requires 6 quarts.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-and-oil-related-topics/612157-synthetic-oil.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-and-oil-related-topics/615345-increased-oil-weight-and-mpg-improved-possible.html
i sure hope that amsoil is giving you free product for all of the advertising you do for them
Old 09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MR BACKHAND
i sure hope that amsoil is giving you free product for all of the advertising you do for them
No, I don't get it for free...have to buy it like most everyone else.

I just enjoy reading about engine lubricants (since 2005) while helping others be more informed about the misleading marketing of "Big Oil" companies.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Jealous???!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM
MR BACKHAND

my comment was a joke i thought for all of the info Unleashedbeast post on here about amsoil they should be paying him .he would be a great person to have on there sales team very informed.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I knew you were joking. It made me laugh, btw.

[SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE]Change your oil every 3,000 or your engine will wear prematurely.[/SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE]

Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

my comment was a joke i thought for all of the info Unleashedbeast post on here about amsoil they should be paying him .he would be a great person to have on there sales team very informed.
yeah once you taste the Amsoil kool-aid you usually never use anything else.

Quick Reply: oil change for a newbie