Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

First oil change, how mad should I be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

I change the oil in all my vehicles so that it's done right. The techs assigned to oil change duties are typically not the sharpest tool in the shed. But for those who must or who choose to have others change their oil, do take the time to check the oil level (for over and under fill) and check that the oil filler cap is properly installed before leaving the shop. It might also be wise to make sure that the oil listed on the invoice is the type called out for your motor.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
I change the oil in all my vehicles so that it's done right. The techs assigned to oil change duties are typically not the sharpest tool in the shed. But for those who must or who choose to have others change their oil, do take the time to check the oil level (for over and under fill) and check that the oil filler cap is properly installed before leaving the shop. It might also be wise to make sure that the oil listed on the invoice is the type called out for your motor.
+1 with 6-speed. When I bought my GT500 in Jul 2010 (2008 with 1480 mile on it), I trailered it from WV to Ark. As soon as I got it home I had the 1st oil change done at the dealer because I wanted to have them do their multi point check. Then next morning I went into the garage and had a 3 or 4 inch oil puddle on the floor. Turns out it just dripped off of the frame where the tech (term used loosely) let the oil drain on the underside. Did this oil change myself and had no problem, plus saved about $50. I would highly recommend doing it yourself!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

I think there could be damage so you should ask for some kind of free extended warranty. You can mention that driving with low oil voids the normal warranty...
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I know someone who worked the lube rack at a dealership. I take his word that this scenario happens from time to time. Tech yells "oh shlt!" over the sound of a motor that's been started with no oil. They fill it up, restart it, and if it's quiet give it to the customer. After they leave the techs say "well, we'll see that car back in about 30,000 for bearings".

The moral of the story is don't go to the dealership unless you have to.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Voice of experience! Call Ford and seriously complain. There is nothing wrong with you convincing them that you are very nervous/skeptic/paranoid/fuming mad...pick one.

I had crazy experiences with dealers bro, from a screw driver punched through the steering wheel to battery acid burned through my carpet.

I called Ford and expressed my need for resolution and fear of future issues that were caused because of the dealers inability to fix issues now.

They gave me a free extra 2 year warranty.

In regard to your engine, I would push for a 100k mile warranty, and if they don't agree, then push for a replacement engine. Why not? I have seen dealers replace entire engines before.

Now, for the truth of it, you likely didn't hurt your engine at all, but that can be easily determined by two things:
1) Did the dipstick show the oil at the low line at least?
2) Did you drive decently during that time?

Good luck man
Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by reelman65
Greetings everyone! I am new to the forum, thanks for the great resource.

Here is my dilemma:

I took my new 2011 GT, that I ordered for the first oil change at the local ford dealer.

after a couple of weeks I check the oil and it looks very low. I wait until the next morning and check again. It is very low. I look at the receipt from the service and it states "6 quarts". well I am pretty sure the new 5.0 takes 8.

So I call the dealership and asked for the service dept....they are closed for the holidays. So I wait until this Monday and call my Ford customer relations satisfaction guy. I ask him what I should do. He says to just call the service dept. I tell him that I am not the kind of person that would try to exploit the situation and get a bunch of free crap, but I would appreciate the direction of how to approach the call to the service mgr. He says: " I don't know what to tell you. just call him"

Here is how that call went:

svc mgr: hello

me: hello, I think i have a little issue with me last oil change. I think my car holds 8 QTS and my dipstick is reading very low and the receipt I got from you says 6 QTS.

svc mgr: what kind of car do you have

me: 2011 Mustang GT

svc mgr:That's the 4.6L right?

me: uh... no, the new 5.0L

svc mgr: OK let me look that up........

10 minutes later....

svc mgr: I can't find out the oil capacity right now, but just bring it in and we will top it off.

So I call the other guy back and tell him about the convo with the srv mgr. He doesn't want to hear it. So I just tell him to find out if it is possible to have any damage of driving 800 miles on 2 qts low and call me back.

My questions:

1. Could there be any damage from driving 800miles on 6 qts.
2. What is reasonable if no damage?

any and all input is welcome.
Thanks!!

Grrr...... I had issues with my first oil change as well. I got her home and noted that they checked the tire pressure at 35 lbs each tire. I know the tires only take 32 lbs so I went to correct that. Found three tires had 31lbs and one had 37lbs. So they didn't even check the tire pressure. On top if it they got black grease all over the fender.

I checked all my fluid levels after than and won't be taking it back to those clowns......

FORD, ARE YOU LISTENING? I DUMPED GM BECAUSE THEIR DEALERS COULDN'T PROPERLY SERVICE THEIR VEHICLES.

Last edited by potman; 01-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Engine damage can also occur if the car is driven on a steep grade without having the correct oil volume.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

I would just add the missing 2 quarts of oil myself. Like others have said, I dont think you did any harm.Then I'd do the oil changes myself from now on. F*ck that dealer.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Nuke
Now that's funny...
I think it's pretty clear that he won't go there if he needs a washer/dryer, for example...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

All the damn dealerships are only putting 6qts instead of the required 8 as described in the owner's manual.

The primary reason: Those chuckleheads are so conditioned to servicing the 4.6L that they think the 5.0 Coyote IS a 4.6L!

The next time I go in and the dealer does the oil change, I will MAKE the service manager write to put in 8 (eight) quarts, and I will further make him write this very sentence "Six Quarts Is NOT Enough, Put In Eight!"

Sometime you have to hold the hands of the techs. Sad. Even more sad is if you ever wind up in the horrible situation where you have to have your leg amputated, the nurse has to WRITE on your leg with a marker which leg to cut off!

Quick Reply: First oil change, how mad should I be?