Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Amsoil 20W-50 UOA here - Both labs included

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Default Amsoil 20W-50 UOA here - Both labs included

Finally, we have the results and everything turned out exactly the way I expected. These reports will debunk anyone who is a skeptic and believes OAI is biased towards Amsoil. :bash:

Let's begin with wear metals.

Aluminum - 5 ppm (Blackstone & OAI)
Iron - 17 ppm (Blackstone & OAI)

A bit higher than average, but considering the engine has very low miles, it's to be expected. Nothing alarming here at all, and also considering we saw a recent UOA report from a Ford modular using Mobil 1 with iron ppm in the 40's. These numbers should decrease on the next UOA of Amsoil 10W-40.

Next we have silicon. It was high in my engine (88 ppm @ Blackstone - 89 ppm @ OAI). You can blame this on two things (silicon remaining from the manufacturing process or poor air filtration), but I'm leaning more towards air filtration. I've seen numbers like this with vehicles using oil gauze air filters. Most of you know I've switched to Amsoil's EAAU6080 air filter on my Ford Racing 113mm CAI, so next UOA will have a lot LESS silicon ppm (estimating about 15 ppm or less). *Note - the air filter was changed in the last 500 miles of this OCI*

ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorous)

Blackstone - Zinc (1238 ppm) Ph (1077 ppm)
OAI - Zinc (1201 ppm) Ph (1033 ppm)

Both labs are so close, I was pleased with the results. You can see that the ZDDP additive package is much greater than your everyday API SM certified lubricant.

Viscosity (cSt @ 100*C)

Virgin Spec- 18.9
Blackstone - 16.11
OAI - 17.5

This lubricant remained a 50 grade oil throughout the entire OCI. It did not shear much from it's virgin 18.9 cSt. This is a plus, and shows you the superiority of a group IV/V base stock versus group III with added VI polymers. Motorcraft UOAs shows cSt about 12.89-14.1 after only two thousand miles. We can see the advantage here.

TBN (additive levels) - 1.0 is too low, but this oil could have been used for at least 13,000 more miles with the amount of additives remaining.

Virgin Spec - 12.1
Blackstone - 9.7
OAI - 7.59

This is where you see a difference in both labs, as they use different testing methods. I would like to point out here that OAI shows a LOWER reading than Blackstone. This yet again proves that OAI isn't biased towards Amsoil.

Well guys, there you have it. Let the questions and comments begin.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 01-11-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

thats sad that you needed to buy a 2nd test because some people think one lab has ties to a oil company.

but thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
thats sad that you needed to buy a 2nd test because some people think one lab has ties to a oil company.
Not really considering also the fact that both of you guys are Amsoil dealers
Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja

but thanks for the info.
Good thing I will never have to waste the extra 43.00 again. Yes, you heard me right. It cost 35.00 for Blackstone's testing plus an additional 8.00 for UPS shipping. Sure, I could have paid only 2.00 for USPS, but I wanted the samples to reach the labs on the same day. The results were also delivered on the same day. In my case, one lab was not faster than the other.

I will never pay Blackstone again. Why should I? OAI only charges 25.00 for their complete service (that includes TBN), and that also includes UPS shipping. It's a no brainer.

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
I can understand that, as most people think we only speak highly of it because we stand to profit from it. Nah, I'm a dealer for my own consumption. BP pays my bills, Amsoil provides pocket change to throw at the beggers on street corners. It's nothing to even brag about. I do this for a hobby and the love of cars.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 01-11-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
did you know like 60% of Amsoil customers upgrade to become dealers?

I'm sure its the millions of dollars they take in with it (sarcasm)

or maybe they were so pleased with the products they became dealers to offer them to their Friends,Family and other loved ones?

but back on topic,
I'm glad Beast shelled out of his massive Amsoil Bank Account to show that the labs are not biased toward any one oil company.
and some people don't realize with Blackstone some tests "cost extra"

Last edited by ShadyNinja; 01-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

How close are you to pulling a sample of the 10W40 for a UOA. I'm considering dropping to a Red Line 5W40 for my next oil change and would like to see how your motor likes the 40 grade oil.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
How close are you to pulling a sample of the 10W40 for a UOA. I'm considering dropping to a Red Line 5W40 for my next oil change and would like to see how your motor likes the 40 grade oil.
400 miles to go before I pull a sample at 2,000, and I will add that half of those miles have been easy highway, but the other half....

stop and go traffic, WOT, and ***** to the wall.....racing!

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 02-16-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

I am also awaiting your results. Subscribed. And send me a pm too once you have info if you don't mind Troy. Thank you
Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im new to the whole UOA sheets, but on the blackstone one it says the oil change interval was only for roughly 2k miles, shouldn't it be ran for miles to get a more accurate idea where the UOA stands? If you pulled a 2k miles samble from a group III or convential the results would prob looks good as well right?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
I am also awaiting your results. Subscribed. And send me a pm too once you have info if you don't mind Troy. Thank you
I sure will, no problem.

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Im new to the whole UOA sheets, but on the blackstone one it says the oil change interval was only for roughly 2k miles, shouldn't it be ran for miles to get a more accurate idea where the UOA stands? If you pulled a 2k miles samble from a group III or convential the results would prob looks good as well right?
What we are looking at right now is shearing, and how terrible Motorcraft 5W-50 easily shears to a heavy 30 grade/light 40 grade lubricant after only 2,000 miles of use. I will not be dumping the fill of 10W-40 currently in the sump, only taking samples at every 2,000 mile interval until the UOA says it's definitely time to change. This is an ongoing study of the superiority of a group IV/V based lubricant that isn't API SM/SN certified over the "hydrocracked" group III based lubricants that are API SM/SN certified. So far, I've already seen the difference in shearing. Later, we will see a difference in longevity, wear, and other areas.

Quick Reply: Amsoil 20W-50 UOA here - Both labs included