Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

First oil change at 20K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
Yep; I guess I'm "old school"... I built or rebuilt an average of one engine a week for nearly ten years at a well respected British repair shop, and that's what worked for me, and what I told the customers to follow. Rarely ever had a single problem...except when I had to fix some of the boss'es builds that leaked.. Anyway, it can't hurt anything by changing oil more often, other than cost of oil & filter. I like the peace of mind I get, removing any and all potential contaminants, and believe me, there are some in the factory fill! The sooner that first oil comes out, the better I sleep. While those particles probably won't hurt anything, do you really want them imbedded in your bearings? Not in my engine; thanks.
My thoughts exactly. Cheap insurance. Out at 300 to 500 miles. Every 5000 miles after that. And shorter intervals during the summer if tracking the car. Probably overkill but gives me comfort as it has worked for over 50 years and many different cars. I know that technology has advanced, and because of this we can probably safely go with whatever we want to use. Especially since most of us really don't know the correct answer anyway and are just offering up anecdotal info, like me.

Hey, whatever turns your crank.

Cheers.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

It's more about the add (additive) pack and viscosity improvers in the lubricant that effects the oil lifespan. Cheap, off the shelf dino oil cannot live past ~3000 miles before breakdown and viscosity degradation occurs. Most syn oils are good to *at least* 10k mile intervals. And recent technology oil filters typically filter down to <25 microns so taking the oil out to 20k miles w/o affecting vis or wearing out the additives is now common. FWIW, I did my first oil change at 500 miles using factory fill, again at 1500 with factory fill and yet AGAIN at 5k miles switching to synthetic at that time. A buddy of mine who ran his factory fill out to 10k miles spun a bearing with less than 20k miles on the car. So....
Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

The only way I would EVER follow the first 20,000 OLM interval on the new Mustang is......

Buying the car, and immediately dumping the factory fill and.....

Pouring in 8 quarts of Amsoil 0W-30

Gone are the days of "required" 3,000 mile oil changes. Even Ford's synthetic blend can achieve 10,000 miles with an 8 quart sump. 2 extra quarts makes a difference in an oil change interval. You have 2 more quarts of added anti-wear agents and cleaning detergents.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 01-28-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:53 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Yea, I promise I have not reset the IOLM. It is clear that the first go around this is setup for 20K and then 10K afterward. Also, as I said, even ford's online maintenance schedule mentions nothing about having anything done at 10K miles. It's just strange, so what I am wondering is if they are using something different from the factory to make that 20K then going with the published recommended oil afterward.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:47 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KXRM
Yea, I promise I have not reset the IOLM. It is clear that the first go around this is setup for 20K and then 10K afterward. Also, as I said, even ford's online maintenance schedule mentions nothing about having anything done at 10K miles. It's just strange, so what I am wondering is if they are using something different from the factory to make that 20K then going with the published recommended oil afterward.
This article in 5.0 Magazine provides an overview of the oil improvements done for the new 5.0 motor.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...te_oiling.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_45.html
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
heritagehog

My 2011 5.0 oil change indicator says the same this with 4600 miles
Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
The only way I would EVER follow the first 20,000 OLM interval on the new Mustang is......

Buying the car, and immediately dumping the factory fill and.....

Pouring in 8 quarts of Amsoil 0W-30

Gone are the days of "required" 3,000 mile oil changes. Even Ford's synthetic blend can achieve 10,000 miles with an 8 quart sump. 2 extra quarts makes a difference in an oil change interval. You have 2 more quarts of added anti-wear agents and cleaning detergents.
I'd love to see a UOA on a Motorcraft synthetic blend after it has gone 10,000 miles in a 5.0
I'm not advocating 3,000 mile oci's either but I think that might be pushing it on a blend like that in this engine
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

My dads cobalt has the oil life %. The local Chevrolet dealership said it's based on the number of rotations of the motor. He said he recommends changing before it hits 50% left. Not sure why the oil life % last so long. It would be around 15k miles of normal driving before it reached low %.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shaunmac9128
I'd love to see a UOA on a Motorcraft synthetic blend after it has gone 10,000 miles in a 5.0
I'm not advocating 3,000 mile oci's either but I think that might be pushing it on a blend like that in this engine
If the new 5.0 was a 6 quart sump, I would agree with you, and also would only suggest a maximum of 7,500 miles. The difference is, the new breed of 5.0 has an 8 quart sump. The 2 extra quarts make a difference in the amount of additives present in the sump to clean and protect an engine. This would easily make it capable of the extra 2,500 miles....although, I wouldn't suggest more with a few UOAs that says the oil in question could achieve it.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Does Ford have some kind of special break in chemical with their oil with the 11's? I am on the fence also with changing my oil. Right now I have 750 miles on it. Thinking about changing the oil at 1500 miles with Mobil One then around 5000 miles changing it with Amsoil.

Quick Reply: First oil change at 20K miles.